Steve

Default Diesel Compression Release ??

I could probably find the answer to this question if I removed the valve
cover on my engine..

Which valve does the compression release normally effect. Exhaust or
Intake??

The reason I ask, I have had a problem with wet exhaust water getting back
into the cylinder on my Entec/Farymen gen set engine. This happens when I
have intial trouble getting it started and after I use the compression
release.

I'm thinking that the exhaust valve must be staying open during the down
stroke (normal power stroke) while the intake is closed. This then sucks
water in from the wet exhaust elbow (water is injected just after the bend
of this elbow).

Even if the compression release doesn't effect the exhaust valve, I suspect
the exhaust valve may be sticking open after long idle period (week or so).

Just curious.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jean-Marie

"Steve" wrote in
:

The reason I ask, I have had a problem with wet exhaust water getting
back into the cylinder on my Entec/Farymen gen set engine. This
happens when I have intial trouble getting it started and after I use
the compression release.

I do not know the answer to the compression lever, but when the engine is
cranked and it does not start, the water accumulates in the exhaust system.
There is no explosion to push it out and depending on how high it has to go
it might as well come back into the engine.

I have seen suggested somewhere that you close the water intake if the
engine has to be cranked for a long time while it does not start or you do
not want it to start (Winterizing).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

JM
Doug Dotson

Sounds like you have the same genset that I do. I'll look into
the manual and let you know what I find. In any case, what
you describe sounds like an installation problem. The seven
cranks before the compression release closes should not
produce the problem you describe. Have you contacted
Entec? I had a problem with mine and they were very
halpful.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jean-Marie" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in
:

The reason I ask, I have had a problem with wet exhaust water getting
back into the cylinder on my Entec/Farymen gen set engine. This
happens when I have intial trouble getting it started and after I use
the compression release.

I do not know the answer to the compression lever, but when the engine is
cranked and it does not start, the water accumulates in the exhaust
system.
There is no explosion to push it out and depending on how high it has to
go
it might as well come back into the engine.

I have seen suggested somewhere that you close the water intake if the
engine has to be cranked for a long time while it does not start or you do
not want it to start (Winterizing).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

JM

Wayne.B

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:08:48 -0000, "Jean-Marie"
wrote:

I have seen suggested somewhere that you close the water intake if the
engine has to be cranked for a long time while it does not start or you do
not want it to start (Winterizing).

================================

Yes, the owners manual for one of my old Volvo's recommended exactly
that.

Steve

Yes I can see how that would happen if the water lift muffler outlet were
lower than the engine exhaust manifold as well as the overboard.

In my installation the engine exhaust elbow is at least a foot above the
water lift muffler and the overboard discharge is below the water lift (not
really a water lift in this instance).

The only way the water loft could fill to the level of the exhaust elbow is
if the overboard discharge were closed. If that were to happen the
compression pressure would rupture something in the exhaust system.

I still think the exhaust valve is staying open enough (when the engine is
dead cold) and during the power stroke, the piston sucks water vapor into
the cylinder. Not enough to cause a hydraulic lock but enough to show water
traces in the lub oil after a dozen or so start attempts. (no other way for
water to get into the oil in these engines since the water jacketed cylinder
is independent of the crank case, as is the water cooled head. ).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug Dotson

I seem to recall that the installation instructions state that exit from the
water lifter must go at least a foot above the waterline before exiting
the boat. Does your's do this?

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

Steve, exhaust gases ********MUST******** be present to move water from the
waterlift muffler overboard. If your engine is not starting, shut off the
water intake valve or suffer the consequences.

Old diesel fuel - two questions Al Gunther Cruising 2 May 30th 04 01:15 PM
uk diesel costs Ken Baker Power Boat Racing 0 May 25th 04 02:41 PM
Why Ficht failed no1 K Smith General 53 January 26th 04 07:46 PM
2003 GAULEY RIVER RELEASE INFORMATION DL Luinstra General 0 August 31st 03 06:48 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM