Steve

Default Diesel Compression Release ??

I could probably find the answer to this question if I removed the valve
cover on my engine..

Which valve does the compression release normally effect. Exhaust or
Intake??

The reason I ask, I have had a problem with wet exhaust water getting back
into the cylinder on my Entec/Farymen gen set engine. This happens when I
have intial trouble getting it started and after I use the compression
release.

I'm thinking that the exhaust valve must be staying open during the down
stroke (normal power stroke) while the intake is closed. This then sucks
water in from the wet exhaust elbow (water is injected just after the bend
of this elbow).

Even if the compression release doesn't effect the exhaust valve, I suspect
the exhaust valve may be sticking open after long idle period (week or so).

Just curious.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions