Trent D. Sanders

Default Sailboat "streaming light" question

Does anyone know where the LEGAL position of a streaming light is
supposed to be? I've had people tell me "the top of the mast", and
"3/4 of the way up the mast", and "at the lower spreaders".

At the top of my mast [Islander 29'] I have two lights. One is a
white 360 degree light [anchor], and the other is white, but shows
only 180 degrees [?] forward. I assume that the second light is a
streaming light, but wonder if it's "legal" where it's mounted?

Appreciate a reply via e-mail,,,,,

Trent Sanders
S/V Cimba
Marina Del Rey
Southern California
Rodney Myrvaagnes

The "Rules of Navigation" which should be aboard your boat say
exactly. If your boat is short enough that the book is not required it
still is a good idea. It helps to understand the lights you see on
other vessels.

I am not on my boat, but the white light must be above the R/G when
the vessel is "propelled by machinery." The usual position for
sailboats, partway up the mast, is fine.

The only complication may be if your red/green is a masthead lantern.
Then you need separate running lights for powering.

There is nothing saying the forward white (steaming light) must be at
a different elevation than the stern light. Indeed, on motor boats it
is often one all-around light.

On 15 Oct 2004 10:12:51 -0700, (Trent D. Sanders)
wrote:

Does anyone know where the LEGAL position of a streaming light is
supposed to be? I've had people tell me "the top of the mast", and
"3/4 of the way up the mast", and "at the lower spreaders".

At the top of my mast [Islander 29'] I have two lights. One is a
white 360 degree light [anchor], and the other is white, but shows
only 180 degrees [?] forward. I assume that the second light is a
streaming light, but wonder if it's "legal" where it's mounted?

Appreciate a reply via e-mail,,,,,

Trent Sanders
S/V Cimba
Marina Del Rey
Southern California

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."
Jeff Morris

You should get a full copy of the Rules and go through them at least once, just to
appreciate what's in them.

http://www.uscg.mil/vtm/navrules/navrules.pdf

Here is the appendix from the Inland rules concerning the vertical position of the
Masthead light, which is commonly reffered to as the steaming light, and need not be
at the masthead. In fact, you can make a good argument for keeping it low, if you you
want small boats to identify you.

(a) On a power-driven vessel of 20 meters or more in length the
masthead lights shall be placed as follows:
(1) The forward masthead light, or if only one masthead light is
carried, then that light, at a height above the hull of not less than
5 meters, and, if the breadth of the vessel exceeds 5 meters,
then at a height above the hull not less than such breadth, so
however that the light need not be placed at a greater height
above the hull than 8 meters;
(2) When two masthead lights are carried the after one shall be
at least 2 meters vertically higher than the forward one.
(b) The vertical separation of the masthead lights of power-driven
vessels shall be such that in all normal conditions of trim the after
light will be seen over and separate from the forward light at a distance
of 1000 meters from the stem when viewed from water level.
(c) The masthead light of a power-driven vessel of 12 meters but
less than 20 meters in length shall be placed at a height above the
gunwale of not less than 2.5 meters.

"Trent D. Sanders" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know where the LEGAL position of a streaming light is
supposed to be? I've had people tell me "the top of the mast", and
"3/4 of the way up the mast", and "at the lower spreaders".

At the top of my mast [Islander 29'] I have two lights. One is a
white 360 degree light [anchor], and the other is white, but shows
only 180 degrees [?] forward. I assume that the second light is a
streaming light, but wonder if it's "legal" where it's mounted?

Appreciate a reply via e-mail,,,,,

Trent Sanders
S/V Cimba
Marina Del Rey
Southern California

Windjammer

Peter,
I have a similar question to that of the original poster. My 32 ft boat was
modified by a previous owner. It has the following lights:

- Masthead Trilight - red/green/white
- Masthead 360 deg white light below tri-light
- Hull mounted conventional running lights red/green/stern white ( I added
these - the originals were not working)

I have read the regulations and find there are several variations. What I
have gathered is that a sailboat under power must display same lights as a
power boat.

In my case, under sail, I have two choices - either use the hull mounted
red/green/stern lights or use the masthead tri-light - both acceptable.

Under power, I do not have the normal steaming light. It seems from the
following quotation that I may be able to use the hull mounted lights plus
the masthead 360 deg light:

"If a power-driven vessel underway is less than 12 m long, it may display,
from sunset to sunrise, an all-round white light and sidelights instead of a
masthead light forward, sidelights, and a stern light. The all-round light
must be higher than the sidelights."

I would sort of have this, but from the stern there would be two white
lights showing, one low and one high.

I read the following in the international colregs:

"the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of
less than 12 meters in length may be displaced from the fore and aft
centerline of the vessel if centerline fitting is not practicable, provided
the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the
fore and aft centerline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in
the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or all-round white light."

This would tend to say that the combined masthead trilight plus all round
light might also be acceptable.

I could add the conventional mast mounted steaming light, but this means
adding wiring and switches. Question is, do I need to do it!

Graham

"Peter Bennett" wrote

The light you are asking about is the "steaming" (not streaming) or
masthead light. It has an arc of visibility from dead ahead to two
points (22.5 degrees) abaft the beam on either side - it covers the
same arc as the red and green sidelights.

The Collision Regulations will describe the required positions of all
navigation lights.

According to the Canadian version of the Coll Regs, on a vessel under
12 metres, the masthead light must be at least 1 metre above the
sidelights.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI

Shen44

Subject: Sailboat "streaming light" question
From: "Windjammer"
Peter,
I have a similar question to that of the original poster. My 32 ft boat was
modified by a previous owner. It has the following lights:

- Masthead Trilight - red/green/white
- Masthead 360 deg white light below tri-light
- Hull mounted conventional running lights red/green/stern white ( I added
these - the originals were not working)

I have read the regulations and find there are several variations. What I
have gathered is that a sailboat under power must display same lights as a
power boat.

Since under those conditions it IS a powerboat under the Rules.

In my case, under sail, I have two choices - either use the hull mounted
red/green/stern lights or use the masthead tri-light - both acceptable.

True

Under power, I do not have the normal steaming light. It seems from the
following quotation that I may be able to use the hull mounted lights plus
the masthead 360 deg light:

As long as you shut off the hull mounted stern light. (could look like a
Masthead/Range setup).

"If a power-driven vessel underway is less than 12 m long, it may display,
from sunset to sunrise, an all-round white light and sidelights instead of a
masthead light forward, sidelights, and a stern light. The all-round light
must be higher than the sidelights."

I would sort of have this, but from the stern there would be two white
lights showing, one low and one high.

Again, you would need to shut the lower one off.

I read the following in the international colregs:

"the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of
less than 12 meters in length may be displaced from the fore and aft
centerline of the vessel if centerline fitting is not practicable, provided
the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the
fore and aft centerline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in
the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or all-round white light."

This would tend to say that the combined masthead trilight plus all round
light might also be acceptable.

Definitely not. This is talking about small outboards where the motor, etc. may
get in the way of a center mounting.

I could add the conventional mast mounted steaming light, but this means
adding wiring and switches. Question is, do I need to do it!

Looks like all you need is a seperate switch on your hull stern light.

Shen

DARat

Just a few notes on terminology he
A masthead is the forward portion of the mast, not the mast-top which is
the top.
Therefore, it is impossible to have a 360 masthead light in a single
light...
The term steaming light has been substituted many times to try to
eliminate the confusion
associated with the "mast-head" light.

--
Cheers,
Jeffrey Nelson
"Windjammer" wrote in message
[...]

otnmbrd

DARat wrote:
Just a few notes on terminology he
A masthead is the forward portion of the mast, not the mast-top which is
the top.
Therefore, it is impossible to have a 360 masthead light in a single
light...
The term steaming light has been substituted many times to try to
eliminate the confusion
associated with the "mast-head" light.

Although I see what you're getting at here, I'm going to disagree a bit.
"Masthead" refers to the arc of visibility more than it's location (on
the mast-top or forward portion of the mast) since it can be located on
top of a mast, pole ....
You are correct, in that an "all-around" light should not be called a
"masthead", but it's because of it's 360 deg arc of visibility.
It's also possible to refer to that portion of the arc of a 360 deg
light which encompasses 225 deg (rt ahead to 2 pts abaft, either side)
as the "masthead" portion of that light.
The "steaming" light refers to the masthead light, but in some boats it
can also refer to the 360 deg light.
My point here, is that there are a number of ways to address these
terms, and it's more important that two people in a discussion
understand the possibilities and settle on which terms are being used.

otn
Rob

The term steaming light has been substituted many times to try to
eliminate the confusion
associated with the "mast-head" light.

Although I see what you're getting at here, I'm going to disagree a bit.
"Masthead" refers to the arc of visibility more than it's location (on
the mast-top or forward portion of the mast) since it can be located on
top of a mast, pole ....
You are correct, in that an "all-around" light should not be called a
"masthead", but it's because of it's 360 deg arc of visibility.
It's also possible to refer to that portion of the arc of a 360 deg
light which encompasses 225 deg (rt ahead to 2 pts abaft, either side)
as the "masthead" portion of that light.
The "steaming" light refers to the masthead light, but in some boats it
can also refer to the 360 deg light.

I believe that in Canada for a boat under 12m(?) that the steaming light and
stern light must separate lights but for boats under 12 m there can be a
single 360 degree light. This has resulted in many power boats being built
with a 360 degree anchor light at the top of the metal mast and a steaming
light on the front side of the mast and a stern light on the rear side just
below it. I do not believe that the lower two would appear any different the
single anchor light from a distance but one is legal and one is not.

RW

rhys

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:17:18 -0400, "Rob" wrote:

I believe that in Canada for a boat under 12m(?) that the steaming light and
stern light must separate lights but for boats under 12 m there can be a
single 360 degree light. This has resulted in many power boats being built
with a 360 degree anchor light at the top of the metal mast and a steaming
light on the front side of the mast and a stern light on the rear side just
below it. I do not believe that the lower two would appear any different the
single anchor light from a distance but one is legal and one is not.

For what it's worth: My boat's about 10 meters in length, and I use
the stern light and the port/starboard bow lights when underway at
night under sail AND the mast-top tricolour. I believe I could use
either, legally.

When I motor at night, I use the steaming light at the mast front just
beneath the spreaders, about four metres (13 feet or so) off the deck.
I customarily turn OFF the masthead light to reinforce my "powered"
status and just use the hull lights.

I have a separate, quite bright white 360 degree anchor light atop my
mast top tricolour, which I use when anchored at night, naturally. In
a pinch, I suppose it could be an "emergency steaming light", although
I would probably issue a "securite" call on 16 if I was motoring
through traffic with a busted steaming light.

Finally, I carry hurricane lamps that could be used as nav lights.
They are cheap Chinese jobs I use to illuminate the cockpit on social
evenings, but I carry spotlight "cels" in the appropriate colours to
make 'em into legal (excepting the range, maybe) nav lights. If they
fell in the lake, I wouldn't cry.

As the above shows, I believe in at least partial redudancy G.