Shen44

Subject: Sailboat "streaming light" question
From: "Windjammer"
Peter,
I have a similar question to that of the original poster. My 32 ft boat was
modified by a previous owner. It has the following lights:

- Masthead Trilight - red/green/white
- Masthead 360 deg white light below tri-light
- Hull mounted conventional running lights red/green/stern white ( I added
these - the originals were not working)

I have read the regulations and find there are several variations. What I
have gathered is that a sailboat under power must display same lights as a
power boat.

Since under those conditions it IS a powerboat under the Rules.

In my case, under sail, I have two choices - either use the hull mounted
red/green/stern lights or use the masthead tri-light - both acceptable.

True

Under power, I do not have the normal steaming light. It seems from the
following quotation that I may be able to use the hull mounted lights plus
the masthead 360 deg light:

As long as you shut off the hull mounted stern light. (could look like a
Masthead/Range setup).

"If a power-driven vessel underway is less than 12 m long, it may display,
from sunset to sunrise, an all-round white light and sidelights instead of a
masthead light forward, sidelights, and a stern light. The all-round light
must be higher than the sidelights."

I would sort of have this, but from the stern there would be two white
lights showing, one low and one high.

Again, you would need to shut the lower one off.

I read the following in the international colregs:

"the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of
less than 12 meters in length may be displaced from the fore and aft
centerline of the vessel if centerline fitting is not practicable, provided
the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the
fore and aft centerline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in
the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or all-round white light."

This would tend to say that the combined masthead trilight plus all round
light might also be acceptable.

Definitely not. This is talking about small outboards where the motor, etc. may
get in the way of a center mounting.

I could add the conventional mast mounted steaming light, but this means
adding wiring and switches. Question is, do I need to do it!

Looks like all you need is a seperate switch on your hull stern light.

Shen