Peter Bennett

On 15 Oct 2004 10:12:51 -0700, (Trent D. Sanders)
wrote:

Does anyone know where the LEGAL position of a streaming light is
supposed to be? I've had people tell me "the top of the mast", and
"3/4 of the way up the mast", and "at the lower spreaders".

The light you are asking about is the "steaming" (not streaming) or
masthead light. It has an arc of visibility from dead ahead to two
points (22.5 degrees) abaft the beam on either side - it covers the
same arc as the red and green sidelights.

At the top of my mast [Islander 29'] I have two lights. One is a
white 360 degree light [anchor], and the other is white, but shows
only 180 degrees [?] forward. I assume that the second light is a
streaming light, but wonder if it's "legal" where it's mounted?

The Collision Regulations will describe the required positions of all
navigation lights.

According to the Canadian version of the Coll Regs, on a vessel under
12 metres, the masthead light must be at least 1 metre above the
sidelights.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca