Jeff Morris

You should get a full copy of the Rules and go through them at least once, just to
appreciate what's in them.

http://www.uscg.mil/vtm/navrules/navrules.pdf

Here is the appendix from the Inland rules concerning the vertical position of the
Masthead light, which is commonly reffered to as the steaming light, and need not be
at the masthead. In fact, you can make a good argument for keeping it low, if you you
want small boats to identify you.

(a) On a power-driven vessel of 20 meters or more in length the
masthead lights shall be placed as follows:
(1) The forward masthead light, or if only one masthead light is
carried, then that light, at a height above the hull of not less than
5 meters, and, if the breadth of the vessel exceeds 5 meters,
then at a height above the hull not less than such breadth, so
however that the light need not be placed at a greater height
above the hull than 8 meters;
(2) When two masthead lights are carried the after one shall be
at least 2 meters vertically higher than the forward one.
(b) The vertical separation of the masthead lights of power-driven
vessels shall be such that in all normal conditions of trim the after
light will be seen over and separate from the forward light at a distance
of 1000 meters from the stem when viewed from water level.
(c) The masthead light of a power-driven vessel of 12 meters but
less than 20 meters in length shall be placed at a height above the
gunwale of not less than 2.5 meters.

"Trent D. Sanders" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know where the LEGAL position of a streaming light is
supposed to be? I've had people tell me "the top of the mast", and
"3/4 of the way up the mast", and "at the lower spreaders".

At the top of my mast [Islander 29'] I have two lights. One is a
white 360 degree light [anchor], and the other is white, but shows
only 180 degrees [?] forward. I assume that the second light is a
streaming light, but wonder if it's "legal" where it's mounted?

Appreciate a reply via e-mail,,,,,

Trent Sanders
S/V Cimba
Marina Del Rey