Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Courtney Thomas

So, to install a proper chain stopper if you don't have one, the
windlass would need to be removed, and repositioned allowing for the
stopper ?

Do you use the chain hook for the second anchor or what ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:15:55 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

Wouldn't a fixed stopper be better in that... [it conceptually seems to
me]... the chain could "fall out" of the grabber [I realize it's under
tension] in that it has no restraining "lock", as do the fixed ones [in
effect] ?

What we are talking about here is a "chain hook" not a "chain
stopper".

I have both on my trawler. THe chain stopper came as standard
equipment and is deck mounted just forward of the windlass. It is of
heavy duty bronze construction, with a pivoting pawl which flips down
and grabs a chain link. I believe it may have been made by Galley
Maid in FL but I'm not sure. Their phone number is 561-848-8696. Ask
for Jimmy, he is alledged to know everything.

The chain hooks were purchased at W-M. Mine are shackled to 3/4 inch
nylon line via an eye splice and thimble. The slot in the hook is
barely larger than a 3/8 chain link and tends to grab on fairly
snuggly. I've never had one shake loose accidently and it would be
virtually impossible unless the hook line were totally slack.

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Anchor Chain Report DSK Cruising 11 June 20th 10 12:05 AM
All chain rode is for old men JAXAshby General 149 February 14th 05 03:08 PM
anyone successful using [3/8"] G40 instead of BBB chain ? Courtney Thomas Cruising 4 September 10th 04 11:51 PM
Chain for Delta anchor PBM Cruising 2 July 28th 04 01:31 PM