PBM

Default Chain for Delta anchor

Looking at anchors, I notice that the Delta carries a recommended
chain size smaller than a Bruce or CQR. In other words, an 88# Delta
with 3/8" chain versus a 66-75# anchor of another type with 1/2"
chain.

I am thinking that a bomb-proof anchor is a good idea. At least one
size larger than recommended. But if you get into 1/2 inch chain you
are talking a lot of weight in chain!

Why does the Delta use smaller chain? If you have, say, a 55 foot
light/medium displacement boat, wouldn't an 88 pound Delta with 3/8
chain be a great secure anchor-rode combination with a lot less weight
and cost than a Bruce or CQR?

PBM
Lew Hodgett

"PBM" writes:
Looking at anchors, I notice that the Delta carries a recommended
chain size smaller than a Bruce or CQR. In other words, an 88# Delta
with 3/8" chain versus a 66-75# anchor of another type with 1/2"
chain.

snip

Take a look at C4 grade, 3/8" chain, with the Delta 88.

It is what my windlass supplier is recommending for my 60,000 lb boat.

SFWIW, they do a lot of work in the commercial and military markets.

HTH

Lew

Jeff Morris

I'd say its probably a matter of "style." You might also ask why the other
anchor requires such a heavy chain.

This has nothing to do with the strength of the chain, its just means that the
other anchor company feels the extra weight will help hold it on the bottom
better. I'm not sure this is a great advantage.

Frankly, I favor lighter weight solutions, on the theory that the most important
part of anchoring is ending up well set in the correct place. Lighter gear
makes that a lot easier, especially on smaller boats without a windlass.
However, its seems you're well into the "windlass required" range anyways.

BTW, I use a Delta 35 with 50 feet or 5/16 as a primary, and a Fortress FX23
with 10 feet of chain as a secondary for 10,000 pound catamaran.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup

om...

Anchor Chain Report DSK Cruising 11 June 20th 10 12:05 AM
Why need anchor chain? Ivan Yonge General 171 October 5th 04 03:27 AM
FS: 5/8 BB anchor chain 275 ft in San Francisco Bay area $1.75/ft MLapla4120 Marketplace 0 May 6th 04 11:08 PM
Anchor chain Kangaroo Cruising 20 April 2nd 04 07:51 PM