Courtney Thomas

Wayne,

I fail to see how to utilize a mounted stopper unless it's forward of
the windlass,.....

which in my case would require dismounting the windlass, installing a
stopper, remounting the windlass; which means.... a bridled chain hook
is looking, relatively, most appealing :-)

Also, more stuff's got to break before the anchor chain's loose.

What am I missing
?

Thanks,
Courtney

Wayne.B wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:49:45 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

So, to install a proper chain stopper if you don't have one, the
windlass would need to be removed, and repositioned allowing for the
stopper ?

If you have a strong point forward of the windlass there would be no
need to move anything, otherwise probably yes, or more definitively,
"it depends". :-)

Do you use the chain hook for the second anchor or what ?

Mostly I use it to relieve the load on the windlass before backing
down hard on the anchor, and also for the duration of being anchored.
(the chain stopper can also serve the same purpose). The advantage of
the chain hook is two fold, the nylon line introduces some stretch and
shock absorption, and also allows the load to be transferred to a
hawse pipe which is at a lower angle that the pulpit roller.

The bearings and shaft seals of a windlass do not like being under
high load for any extended period of time, and will fail prematurely
unless precautions are taken with either a chain stopper or chain hook
line.

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II