Courtney Thomas

Doug,

One final query....

Please don't regard my enquiry as being argumentative, rather a grasping
by an inexperienced chain stopper user :-)

Wouldn't a fixed stopper be better in that... [it conceptually seems to
me]... the chain could "fall out" of the grabber [I realize it's under
tension] in that it has no restraining "lock", as do the fixed ones [in
effect] ?

I guess you use it with the "slot" up ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Doug Dotson wrote:

Comments below.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message

Doug,

I don't see a chain grabber in the current W.Marine catalog buy do see a
chain grabber for $20 in Hamilton Marine's.

West Marine catalog page 723 lower right corner.

The add says the shackle holes are 1/2", which apparently requires a
shackle to use.

Two shackles, one for each side to connect to a eye in the
line.

How exactly does the manufacturer intend that it be used, assuming it's
like yours ?

It is a bridle. A short line from each side of the Grabber (maybe 6-8')
goes to each bow cleat. Chain is grabbed in the slot. It distributes the
load across both bow cleats. Also helps to reduce swinging on
anchor.

Thanks,
Courtney

Doug Dotson wrote:

West Marine sells something called a Chain Grabber for $20.
We have used one for years and love it. Not sure if this is
what you are after. Ours is just galvanized.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message

I've seen chromed ones that are quite high but would prefer to buy a
sturdy plain one.

Same for Samson post, etc..

BTW, what's a devil's claw ?

Gratefully,