Gogarty

Default The Sand Hole -- Oyster Bay

The Sand Hole is a water-filled sand pit on Lloydd's Neck at the entrance
to Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY. Inside the Sand Hole there is plenty of
water -- as much as 25 feet at low tide -- so lonmg as one is careful
where one anchors. But the entrance to the place is through two narrow
channels whose sides slope sharply and through which the ebb or flood
flows at as much as five knots. Average tide is about seven feet. The
phrase "local knowledge" was invented for this place. Until recently a
careful sailboat drawing 5 feet or more could get in and out at dead low
tide, some times more easily than at a higher stage of the tide because
you could see where the water was and where it wasn't. But not now. The
two choke points have shoaled. Passage at less than half tide is now
problematical at best.

On a recent Saturday we watched several sailboats try to get out at low
tide. They all got stuck as we watched and made nastry remarks about
strangers messing up. To add insult to injury, the Coast Guard came
along. No doubt the big Beneteau thought they were going to help him.
They did not. They boarded him and left him looking very irate. They then
circled the pond, hassled a coulole of other motor boats and one was
heard to say to the others as they passed us "I think they (us) are OK."

The boats got over the inner bar but could not clear the outer one and
eventually anchored until there was enough water to get out.

We left the next morning at dead low tide. We never had a problem before.
But this time we were stuck, first on the inner bar then the outer one.
We spent three hours trying to get out, which had never happened before.

So, if you are going there, beware. And don't even try to enter on an
ebbing tide. You could end up with an excellent opportunity to clear the
barnacles off your prop and shaft. Been there, done that.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:18:12 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

The Sand Hole is a water-filled sand pit on Lloydd's Neck at the entrance
to Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY. Inside the Sand Hole there is plenty of
water -- as much as 25 feet at low tide -- so lonmg as one is careful
where one anchors. But the entrance to the place is through two narrow
channels whose sides slope sharply and through which the ebb or flood
flows at as much as five knots. Average tide is about seven feet. The
phrase "local knowledge" was invented for this place. Until recently a
careful sailboat drawing 5 feet or more could get in and out at dead low
tide, some times more easily than at a higher stage of the tide because
you could see where the water was and where it wasn't. But not now. The
two choke points have shoaled. Passage at less than half tide is now
problematical at best.

[snip]

THanks for the report. We have been afraid to try it (7-ft draft) and
are now glad we didn't, although it looks like a nice spot.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light
Marc Auslander

I've been in a few times - always with trouble. (I draw 5 ft). I've
wondered if the row of buoys outside in fact mark the channel, and if
so which side. They appear to be speed limit warnings, but are lined
up as if to mark a channel.

As for anchoring - in my experience, the deep water is foul - trees et
al that can be a real chore to pull up along with your anchor.
JAXAshby

although it looks like a nice spot.

in the past, on weekends, it was chock a block with drunken frat boy types on
powerboats.
JAXAshby

I guess I have never before heard the Sand Hole referred to as part of the ICW.
Do the barges stop there to load up on fuel and DVD movies?

We left the next morning at dead low tide. We never had a problem before.
But this time we were stuck, first on the inner bar then the outer one.
We spent three hours trying to get out, which had never happened before.

So, if you are going there, beware. And don't even try to enter on an
ebbing tide. You could end up with an excellent opportunity to clear the
barnacles off your prop and shaft. Been there, done that.

Don't feel bad.... the ICW is just as dangerous and problematic.
Locally, the ICW is down to three feet depth in some places (Lockwood
Folly Inlet).

See: http://www.jule-iii.com/icw.shtml

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Bill Adams

A beautiful spot. I anchored there often when I sailed the Sound but
usually only mid-week. Never had any problems getting in or out but one
day watched an Offshore Sailing School cruiser come in and anchor at
high tide in what I knew was an iffy spot. Six hours later he was hard
aground and over on his side. To give him credit, he looked to all the
world like he had planned it just that way.

Gogarty wrote:
The Sand Hole is a water-filled sand pit on Lloydd's Neck at the entrance
to Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY. Inside the Sand Hole there is plenty of
water -- as much as 25 feet at low tide -- so lonmg as one is careful
where one anchors.

Jeff Morris

The drugs must be affecting your reading skills, jaxie. He didn't say it was
the ICW, he compared it to the ICW.

And you realize, of course, that the ICW does go through Long Island Sound.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I guess I have never before heard the Sand Hole referred to as part of the

ICW.
Do the barges stop there to load up on fuel and DVD movies?

We left the next morning at dead low tide. We never had a problem before.
But this time we were stuck, first on the inner bar then the outer one.
We spent three hours trying to get out, which had never happened before.

So, if you are going there, beware. And don't even try to enter on an
ebbing tide. You could end up with an excellent opportunity to clear the
barnacles off your prop and shaft. Been there, done that.

Don't feel bad.... the ICW is just as dangerous and problematic.
Locally, the ICW is down to three feet depth in some places (Lockwood
Folly Inlet).

JAXAshby

He didn't say it was
the ICW, he compared it to the ICW.

why?

And you realize, of course, that the ICW does go through Long Island Sound.

only if you consider LIS to be part of the Hudson River.
JAXAshby

Actually, I don't think I mentioned the word "barge." Where did you
get that from?

actually, you *did* say -- for god know what fricken reason -- ICW.

FS: 66' Chesapeake Bay oyster bay boat in Guatemala Velago Marketplace 0 April 4th 04 06:54 PM
FS: Oyster 406 Sailing Yacht in Greece JimB Marketplace 0 January 19th 04 02:53 PM
Oyster Rolex Joe ASA 87 November 2nd 03 09:06 PM
FS: 66' Chesapeake Bay oyster bay boat in Guatemala Velago Marketplace 0 August 22nd 03 07:55 AM
FS: 66' Chesapeake Bay oyster bay boat in Guatemala Velago Marketplace 0 August 14th 03 12:00 PM