Gogarty

Default The Sand Hole -- Oyster Bay

In article ,
says...

I've been in a few times - always with trouble. (I draw 5 ft). I've
wondered if the row of buoys outside in fact mark the channel, and if
so which side. They appear to be speed limit warnings, but are lined
up as if to mark a channel.

No, they don't mark a channel though they do make aiming points. But one
that was in the outside channel is now gone.

As for anchoring - in my experience, the deep water is foul - trees et
al that can be a real chore to pull up along with your anchor.

Yes, anchoring can be chancey. Took us three tries last weekend. Usually
we grab on the first attempt. Have seen a lot of people pull up trees but
no one so far has retrieved my Cruise'n'Carry outboard that fell off the
stern of the dink some 16 years ago. Have also seen whole rafts break
loose. The place can get crowded on a weekend with lots of motorboats.
But the usual sequence is the power boats, especially the smaller more
raucous ones, come in during the day and leave in the evening. The
sailboats tend to come in in the evening. The power boats are all local,
the sailboats often transient. If the weather is at all cloudy, windy or
rainy, there are few powerboats. We have often been the only boat in the
place at sunset on Sunday, Ah! Tranquility, twenty miles from Manhattan.