Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default The Sand Hole -- Oyster Bay

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:18:12 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

The Sand Hole is a water-filled sand pit on Lloydd's Neck at the entrance
to Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY. Inside the Sand Hole there is plenty of
water -- as much as 25 feet at low tide -- so lonmg as one is careful
where one anchors. But the entrance to the place is through two narrow
channels whose sides slope sharply and through which the ebb or flood
flows at as much as five knots. Average tide is about seven feet. The
phrase "local knowledge" was invented for this place. Until recently a
careful sailboat drawing 5 feet or more could get in and out at dead low
tide, some times more easily than at a higher stage of the tide because
you could see where the water was and where it wasn't. But not now. The
two choke points have shoaled. Passage at less than half tide is now
problematical at best.

[snip]

THanks for the report. We have been afraid to try it (7-ft draft) and
are now glad we didn't, although it looks like a nice spot.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light