Sheldon Haynie

Default Nova Scotia trip report (long)

2004 Cruise:
July 10th Preparations continued with the newly remanufactured injector
return line installed and the engine running for the first time since June
19th. Hooking up the autopilot drive highlighted that the steering cables
had become fouled when the drive had been removed earlier, so that
necessitated last minute adjustment. We provisioned and departed with the
falling tide at 2330, the VHF antenna ticking on the underside of the
Spalding Turnpike bridge to underscore the close timing of the tide. A rapid
transit of the Piscataqua river through the Long and Memorial bridges
followed and we were offshore headed toward Brazil Rock on course of 99
Magnetic. It took a while to figure out that the GPS interface to the
Raymarine software gave an error that was equal to the variation if the
RL72RC chartplotter was not powered up. Moderate winds and sailing in 1-2
foot waves characterized the night, as we motorsailed onwards, Carl on the
9-12 watch, and Sheldon on the 12-3. Marian had the 3-6 am watch as the sun
broke over a placid sea.

July11th: Motoring along on course as we had visitors of a shorebird and saw
dolphin and a shark¹s fin. Flat seas and a wide horizon as we crossed the
majority of open water.

July 12th: Motoring, with some sailing as we made landfall at Cape Sable,
seeing Seal island about 1800. All systems functioning well, we motored up
the coast passing the various buoys and lights through the night.

July 13th: good winds allowed some sailing as we cleared customs in
Lunenburg, fueled and found we had consumed 2 liters per hour at 2000 rpm,
and extricated Lioness from the fuel dock near the ³Wireless² by spinning
her on a line stretched across from the fuel dock to a float to avoid having
to back into 20 kts of stern wind with a zig zag course. We arrived at
Halifax and took a mooring for the evening watching the sunset over the
Northwest arm.
July 14th: Took the launch into the dock to find we had been the object of
an all night inshore rescue search party, apparently the RNSYS dock
attendant had not paid attention to the radio calls about what hours the
launch and clubhouse kept and had informed the coast guard that we were
overdue. We hiked toward town and were given a ride to the Binnacle to
purchase a replacement pressure water pump and a replacement for the mizzen
sheet block whose shackle was wearing on the stern rail¹s welded eye. We
took Carl to a clinic where he was diagnosed with bronchitis and given a
prescription for Amoxycillin, wandered down Spring Garden street to the
library and admired Halifax. Several book stores took our business and we
returned aboard to install the pump, make an oil change and otherwise clean
up including provisioning.

July15th: Departed Halifax at 1030 into the remainder of gale winds and
seas, there were at least 3 sets of 1-2 meter seas with the result that
there were occasionally 6 meter combined swells, that shook the skippers
confidence until Lioness rode them smoothly. We motorsailed up the coast
overnight, and crossed the Chedebucto bay to Cape Breton at 7 kts plus with
genoa and mizzen and a nice quartering sea, making landfall at Isle Madam¹s
Cape Ronde. Somewhere in this region after more than 400 miles the boat
speed sensor had started working, and now the B&G system was fully
functional. Accolades from the crew for the autopilots steady hand in all
conditions and the presence of the Raytech Navigator software via the
companionway LCD. We transited the St. Peters canal noting the cute redhead
in the flouncy skirt and heels who was ³fishing² and sailed in to Bras D¹or
Lakes on a lovely Southwesterly. Taking an anchorage from the CCA cruising
guide off Marble Mountain, we made fast for the night and barbequed steak
and chicken on the grill as the sun set.

July 17h Departed Anchorage about 1100 and sailed the Lake toward the Iona
Narrows, furled sails for the bascule bridge and then resumed sailing toward
Great Bras D¹or under genoa and Mizzen, changing to spinnaker for the long
run to the sea under the Otter Harbor bridge, arriving Sydney at darkness.
We tested the MARPA functions of the radar on several powerboats that were
paralleling our course finally finding the Royal Cape Breton Yacht Club in
the Southern Arm after dark. Our arrival was met at 2200 by Tom the dock
steward who graciously welcomed us.

July18th: changed crew with Marion departing and Rose arriving, and doing
some necessary maintenance on the steering and rig, tuning and lubricating
and getting the masts in line. Planning for the trip to the Magdalenes and
PEI.

July19th: Layday in Sydney, provisioning and finding a replacement shower
head, no stainless steel fasteners were to be found in walking distance nor
a tap wrench at any of the five autoparts stores in the block of George
street. A great steak dinner at the Royal Cape Breton YC for $9.95 each and
we were off to bed.

July 20th: Sailing to Dingwall, Northwest in moderate conditions, anchored
in the head of the inlet and inflated the dinghy for the first time. We
took two 5 gal jerry cans ashore and were able to hitchhike to a gas station
and had a ride back from the manager. Rose and I walked a bit up the road to
the ³Keltic Touch² bakery and bought some fresh bread.

July21th: Sailing to Grand Entrée Magdalene Islands of Quebec. The charts I
had bought in Newport did not include the southern half of the archipelago
in any detail, so we went to the Northern port. A very interesting place, a
gritty fishing port where few people spoke any English. We were the main
attraction as streams of cars came down to the wharf and ogled the sailboat.
Rose found an Artist who sold some interesting works and we topped off water
at the Fishing wharf.

July 22nd: Brief trip south along the island to Cap Aux Meules, a very
different place. We stayed at Club Nautique and were offered the use of a
car by Martin Tremblay of Montreal. Martin and his wife Sophie helped us
land and made us welcome. Rose and I drove to Fatima and visited the church
there before going to the quarry on the hill and leaving behind the stones
from Peru, Cape Cod etc.

July 23rd: Departed CAM at 0300, had brief scare as Carl was not able to
climb aboard as we motored back out of the slip in strong tail winds. He
was able to go to the ferry harbor next door and jump aboard as we passed
next to one of the huge tractor tires that served as fenders. A bumpy ride
to the Isle de Entry, and then motorsailing south. We had hoped to go to
PEI, but were not able to make better than 165 degrees magnetic which put us
on the Cape Breton shore a little North of Cheticamp. The GPS failed a
little out of harbor so we went to the hand held Garmin as a backup. We
anchored off the large church and Carl and Rose went ashore to provision and
visit the church while I stayed aboard to nap and make sure the anchor did
not drag in the 20-25 kt gusts. Carl tried to fix he GPS and found that he
could wiggle a connector and have it restored. We fueled from jerry cans and
found that the fuel vent was blocked. Departed Cheticamp at 2000, as we
headed out we found that the forecast 10-15 kts was more like 20kts and that
the GPS had stopped working again. We returned to Cheticamp and slept till
0900.

July 24th: Woke late checked fuel vent, no issues found GPS cable was
damaged and repaired it, departed at 1200 for Canso strait, tacking into a
10-15 kt S-SW wind. We had managed to get to clear Margaree Island about 20
miles down the rhumb line when the wind veered to NW and we could bear away
and sail direct. Cleared the Canso Lock at 0200 and made fast at Straits of
Canso YC at 0315.

July 25th: Awoke at 0730 in SCYC and got Rose into taxi to meet her shuttle.
Carl and I were fried on short sleep, did laundry and caught up on email
etc.

July26th: Departed Port Hawksbury and headed down Chedebucto Bay with
³Sentinel seals² and pods of pilot whales to guide us. Saw 4 great whales,
think they were finbacks, one was a close a two boat lengths.
Rounded Cranberry Island and headed down the coast, anchored at twilight in
Lipscomb in nice harbor.

July 27th: Deparated at 0530 and let Carl sleep in while motoring out.
Arrived Halifax and took mooring at RNSYS again. Planned maintenance to
replace burnt out bulbs and oil changes.
July28th: Carl up Mainmast 2x and mizzen 1x to get old bulbs, and lube
fittings, thank goodness the windlass and spinnaker halyard are suitable for
hoisting his 100kg up the big stick. Was winded with the mizzen hoist. Took
dinghy up the Northwest arm and walked to ³the Binnacle for supplies and the
Shell station next door for Oil filters, replacement crew arrived via Scotia
Prince and shuttle with Mobile 1 oil (marked for ³V twins² ) so we took
rainy afternoon to wander town.

July29th: Woke up and went in by launch to do laundry leaving boys to change
oil, departed RNSYS at 1000 and took a lap of the main harbor to see Tall
ships, Arrived Chester at 2000, a lovely area and walked into town to find
provisions.

July 30th: Slept in sent kids for major provisions and left dock to find
diesel. Found it at South Shore Marine, which is two inlets west of the CMAP
location. They had another B-40 in the shed being restored and gave a good
quote on deck grind and paint. Set out at 1200 and sailed for only a few
hours before bailing out of confused seas into LaHave river and took a dock
at the bakery. Since I had not payed attention to my westing, I realized I
was not going to make Yarmouth by Sunday and needed a rental to shuttle crew
to the ferry, unfortunately with the Acadian 400th year celebration there
were few to choose from. Took an Enterprise but that meant staying in LaHave
to get it.

July31st: Got the rental and hung out at bakery

Aug1st: drove to Yarmouth and back in fog with new crew, left dock to go to
Moshers Is to be closer to sea. Anchored next to a Bristol 40 and crashed
out listening to wind whistling down mast

Aug 2nd: Left Moshers Is at 0800 and sailed SW in a building SW wind with
forecast of veer and drop. Seas confused and lumpy. Wind eventually veered
after 10 hrs of hard sailing, Lioness did better upwind than expected, might
be use of motor at idle to keep pilot and inverter charged that helped.

Aug 3rd: on watch after rounding Cape Sable, decided to head behind (North)
of Seal Island to cut some miles off. Was just ³ahead² of the ebb.. and
found out that It caught us as we were entering the cut.. zoomed CMAP and
found ³the hospital² as name of cut.. drove hard in 4-5 kts adverse tide
hoping to not have eddies. Cleared area and came back on deck to grey fog
with great whales broaching in distance. Made landfall at South West harbor,
took a mooring at Hinckley at 2200.

Aug 4th: Fun with customs. Not to be outdone the US customs guy in Bangor
gave me a hard time with why I was calling him, even though the Bar Harbor
Voice mail sad to do so. Asked the basic questions and I was dumb nuff to
admit to buying hamburgers. Was told to NOT leave and NOT destroy them, but
to wait for Bar Harbor agent to confiscate. Called Bar Harbor at 1400 and
agent just told me to eat them and get out of there. An interesting
experience. Had time for crew to go ashore and for Hinckley service to
assess paint repair from Memorial day encounter with Plymouth Jetty. Driving
hard cross Casco Passage and Blue Hill bay, snagged a lobsta pot with 1/2²
line that broke the ³spurs² line cutter and stalled engine leaving us moored
by the prop in 95 feet of water with an island about 200 yrds downstream in
1 kt current. Lowered our anchor and 40 feet of chain, 200 feet of line and
put dinghy in, got a boat hook around the pot line and was able to cut it
below prop, allowing us to restart engine. Vibration and lowered speed told
us we had fouled prop, so we nursed it to ³Merchants Harbor² on Merchants
row and anchored for night.

Aug 5th: got out in dinghy with bread knife taped to boat hook and tried to
cut line loose. Felt water and decided that I was NOT swimming in that stuff
and so we motor sailed slowly into Boothbay harbor and took mooring.

Aug 6th: came into dock at BHYC and careened Lioness with Spinnaker halyard
to dock, tried knife from dinghy finally climbed into water and cut 10 feet
of line off prop with associated fittings. Made log entry to buy wetsuit
and motor sailed to Portland, arriving at Handy boat next to PYC 1600.
Attended skippers meeting for Monhegan race and party afterward, with three
ladies as guests, interesting dynamics.

Aug 7th: Raced Monhegan (actually Manana course) had to abandon race again
due to no wind at Monhegan and schedule to be in Portsmouth Sunday night.
Aug 8th Motored to Portland, and motorsailed to Portsmouth arriving at
mooring a month, a day and an hour after we left.

--
Sheldon Haynie
Texas Instruments

Don White

Congratulations. That was a real sea voyage.
If I could find a way to beat sea sickness, that's the kind of cruising I'd
like.

Ken Heaton

"Sheldon Haynie" wrote in message
2004 Cruise:

snipped bits were here
[...]

Shoot, I spent the day working around the house. I should have dropped down
to the RCBYC to see who was around. And of course I work in the building
two doors down form the yacht club so was around Monday the 19th as well.

July19th: Layday in Sydney, provisioning and finding a replacement shower
head, no stainless steel fasteners were to be found in walking distance

nor
a tap wrench at any of the five autoparts stores in the block of George
street. A great steak dinner at the Royal Cape Breton YC for $9.95 each

and
we were off to bed.

See above, you should have called me if you had my numbers aboard. Home
Hardware (sort of walking distance) has a selection of SS fasteners. And
then there is Central Supplies and Canadian Tire, not really walking
distance but if you knew someone in town with a car...Oh well, maybe next
time...

more snipped bits

Sheldon Haynie
Texas Instruments
50 Phillipe Cote
Manchester, NH 03101
603 222 8652

Glad you had a good trip. Hope you liked it enough to make it back
sometime.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Don White

"Ken Heaton" wrote Glad you had a good trip.
Hope you liked it enough to make it back
sometime.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

Hey Ken... Any idea where a sailor can get a copy of Silver Donald
Cameron's video of cruising the Bras d'Or lakes??

Ken Heaton

If you just want to see the video, the local (Cape Breton Regional) library
has several copies.

Cape Breton's Bras d'Or lakes [videorecording]. 917'.169'Cap' CBR

As do the following Halifax area branches:

Keshen Goodman Public Library,
Alderney Gate Public Library,
Bedford Public Library,
Spring Garden (Two Copies),
Captain William Spry Public Library,
J. D. Shatford Public Library,
Musquodoboit Harbour Public Library,
Halifax North Memorial Library,
Woodlawn Public Library

I don't know him personally but I found his email and phone numbers if you
want to call and ask him directly how to purchase a copy. I'd rather not
post numbers them here but I'll email them to you.
--

"Don White" wrote in message

"Ken Heaton" wrote Glad you had a good

trip.
Hope you liked it enough to make it back
sometime.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

Hey Ken... Any idea where a sailor can get a copy of Silver Donald
Cameron's video of cruising the Bras d'Or lakes??

rhys

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:27:53 -0300, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

Hey Ken... Any idea where a sailor can get a copy of Silver Donald
Cameron's video of cruising the Bras d'Or lakes??

I just finished his "next" sailing book after "Wind, Whales and
Whisky: A Cape Breton Voyage." It's called "Sniffing the Coast: An
Acadian Voyage", Toronto: Macmillan Canada, 1993, and it was as
entertaining as the Cape Breton book. He's quite a character, even if
he namedrops Farley Mowat a bit much.

Regardless, he's added the "Acadian Sea" to my "future cruising" list.
R..
Ken Heaton

Comments Below:

wrote:

Hey Ken... Any idea where a sailor can get a copy of Silver Donald
Cameron's video of cruising the Bras d'Or lakes??

I just finished his "next" sailing book after "Wind, Whales and
Whisky: A Cape Breton Voyage." It's called "Sniffing the Coast: An
Acadian Voyage", Toronto: Macmillan Canada, 1993, and it was as
entertaining as the Cape Breton book. He's quite a character, even if
he namedrops Farley Mowat a bit much.

Regardless, he's added the "Acadian Sea" to my "future cruising" list.
R..

Hi Marc,

My friend with the '74 Viking 33 (and his wife) just got back from a
short trip to the Magdaline Islands. 11 hours from Bay St. Lawrence in
northern Cape Breton to the islands, mostly close hauled to a beam reach.
Four days at the Marina to the south at La Grave??. Nine hours for the trip
back to Bay St. Lawrence, again close hauled to a beam reach to a broad
reach toward the end, but more wind, about 20 knots. Seeing up to 9 knots
boat speed surfing down the waves. Big bow wave but no complaints about the
ride, they had fun.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

Sheldon Haynie

Ken thanks for the offer, I had your contacts but when crew decided to fly,
I forgot to call. I got the fasteners at Leo Leblanc's in Cap Aux Meules, a
very nicely equipped store on the front end of a "Cape and Islands" boat
builder.

On 8/9/04 7:14 PM, in article , "Ken
Heaton" wrote:

[...]

Don White

"Ken Heaton" wrote
Cape Breton's Bras d'Or lakes [videorecording]. 917'.169'Cap' CBR

As do the following Halifax area branches:

snip
Spring Garden (Two Copies),
snip

Thanks Ken...I'll whip my bicycle out & pedal down to Spring Garden Road to
see if I can borrow a copy.
pls send Cameron's e-mail address to
** **

rhys

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:04:18 -0300, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

Hi Marc,

My friend with the '74 Viking 33 (and his wife) just got back from a
short trip to the Magdaline Islands. 11 hours from Bay St. Lawrence in
northern Cape Breton to the islands, mostly close hauled to a beam reach.
Four days at the Marina to the south at La Grave??. Nine hours for the trip
back to Bay St. Lawrence, again close hauled to a beam reach to a broad
reach toward the end, but more wind, about 20 knots. Seeing up to 9 knots
boat speed surfing down the waves. Big bow wave but no complaints about the
ride, they had fun.

Excellent. Please pass them my congratulations...I guess maybe I worry
too much about the tenderness of the Viking 33 in a seaway...I just
assume it would snap about uncomfortably in heavy ocean (or Gulf) air.
Maybe I worry too much.

Due to family illness and time constraints, I STILL haven't got my
rebuilt Atomic 4 back into the boat...not that I seem to have time for
much more than club racing this year, so I'm glad to hear that old
Viking 33s like mine are still out there surfing off the waves. I've
hit 8 knots surfing off six foot waves, but then I've only got what
Lake Ontario produces by way of fetch G

But I have installed new batteries, fabricated and installed midship
cleats (nice for spring lines), fixed my Zodiac's outboard, installed
running lights and a battery on same tender, and have a new-to-me
recut Kevlar No. 1 to match the brand new cruising spinnaker I pray I
will use at least once this year....

I think what I really need is sculling oars and a mooring....,G...

R.