Scott Vernon

Default 10 Day Trip Report: (long, boring, w/pics)

I took the whole week off and went sailing. Was going to see how far south I
could sail and be back to Annapolis in time to watch the 'Schooner Race'
start. Left the slip Sat. afternoon, nice breeze. Sailed to Rock Hall,
anchored up Swan Creek.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/585565.JPG

Sun. Weighed anchor around 0930, wind around 12kts.. Gorgeous day, shorts
and t-shirt weather. Soon as I sailed under the Bay Bridge
( http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/742661.JPG ) the wind died.
Drifted for a while , then cranked up the Yanmar and motored through Knapps
Narrows and anchored in Dun Cove, a nice quiet little cove. After dinner,
went to plan the next day when I realized I left my chart book at home
Duh!. The waterproof 'cockpit chart' that I use didn't quite go to Solomons
Island, but I had a guide book that showed it. Didn't make it anyway.

Mon. 0900 Sailed off anchor in a good breeze, but by 1100 it was down to 5
kts, or less. Got to the Little Choptank River and decided I better turn
north so as not to miss the race. Again ended up motoring for an hour, into
West River where I spent the night near Galesville, a real sailboat haven.
NOAA was reporting a cold front coming through with high winds (30~40)
starting Tue eve through Wed.

Tue. 1000, 15kts steady wind , passing by the ever popular Thomas Point
Lighthouse. ( http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/369394.jpg ) on
the way to Annapolis. Wanted to anchor in Back Creek but it was so crowded
( a lot of Canadjuns). Dragged 3 times, finally got a good set, but wasn't
enough room to let out the scope I wanted. Decided to get a mooring. It's
nice at night when you wake and hear the wind whistling and remember you're
moored, and go back to sleep.

Wed. NOAA was right, 30 mph wind all day. Stayed on the mooring. Spent the
day with Haggy and the 'Boatyard Crew'. Love those salty stories!
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/sbvernon/36259.JPG

Thur. 1000, picked up Haggy, Bill, and Scupper and sailed out to the Bay
Bridge to watch the schooners. Awesome boats. Great day! Good chicken.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/787943.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/201660.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/903127.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/669842.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/910363.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/431839.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/148502.jpg

Fri. Headed North, wind blowing N, 15~18, lots of tacks, and waves, sailed
into the Magothy River and anchored in yet another peaceful, uncrowded,
little anchorage in Broad Creek around 2200.

Sat. tired from all the wind and sun, decided to sleep in. Had a nice
brunch around 1400, read some, fed the ducks. Thought about staying here,
but decided to go sailing, light wind ( 8~10) nice relaxing sail, got out to
the middle of the bay and the wind died. Decided to motor back to Broad
Creek and spend another night.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/sbvernon/77843.JPG

Sun. 0900, wanted an early start to make it back to Middle River before
dark. Winds from the south and then SW. Blowing 15, cruising along enjoying
the lack of power boats and their chop, listening to the water rush by,
glance at the knot log, cruising at 7+ knots and smooth as silk.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/716573.JPG wind kept
picking up, next thing ya know I see 8kts . That's a new record. Got
near the marina pretty early, decided I was having too much fun and sailed
past. Ended up in Worton Creek for the night.

Mon. another beautiful Fall day on the Chesapeake. Sailed back to the slip.
Tied up and went home. A very satisfying trip!

Scotty

SAIL LOCO

Cool pictures Scott.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Jeff Morris

Great trip, nice report. I'm envious!

-jeff

Scott Vernon

Thanks, been meaning to come down and take pics of the Wed. night races.
maybe next year.

SV

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Cool pictures Scott.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Scott Vernon

The weather makes all the difference, eh? Leaving today for a 'short' 3 day
sail, have to be back Sunday night for my surprise birthday party.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
Great trip, nice report. I'm envious!

-jeff

Schoonertrash

Thanks Scotty. You keep reminding me why I'm out here busting my keister.

Michael

Jonathan Ganz

Nice pictures, but did the boat sail itself? No people....

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I took the whole week off and went sailing.

Also, I hate you for this...

Scott Vernon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote ...
Nice pictures, but did the boat sail itself? No people....

Ok, here, ''The Mighty Capt.''.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/368719.JPG

Also, I hate you for this...

Winter's right around the corner.

Scotty

Bart Senior

Nice post Scott 10 pts
Pony Express

Looks like Elvis without sideburns!
--
----
Steve

"Scott Vernon" wrote in
message
: "Jonathan Ganz" wrote ...
: Nice pictures, but did the boat sail itself?
No people....
:
:
: Ok, here, ''The Mighty Capt.''.