Ken Heaton

Default Nova Scotia trip report (long)

"Sheldon Haynie" wrote in message
2004 Cruise:

snipped bits were here
July 17h Departed Anchorage about 1100 and sailed the Lake toward the Iona
Narrows, furled sails for the bascule bridge and then resumed sailing

toward
Great Bras Dčor under genoa and Mizzen, changing to spinnaker for the long
run to the sea under the Otter Harbor bridge, arriving Sydney at darkness.
We tested the MARPA functions of the radar on several powerboats that were
paralleling our course finally finding the Royal Cape Breton Yacht Club in
the Southern Arm after dark. Our arrival was met at 2200 by Tom the dock
steward who graciously welcomed us.

July18th: changed crew with Marion departing and Rose arriving, and doing
some necessary maintenance on the steering and rig, tuning and lubricating
and getting the masts in line. Planning for the trip to the Magdalenes

and
PEI.

Shoot, I spent the day working around the house. I should have dropped down
to the RCBYC to see who was around. And of course I work in the building
two doors down form the yacht club so was around Monday the 19th as well.

July19th: Layday in Sydney, provisioning and finding a replacement shower
head, no stainless steel fasteners were to be found in walking distance

nor
a tap wrench at any of the five autoparts stores in the block of George
street. A great steak dinner at the Royal Cape Breton YC for $9.95 each

and
we were off to bed.

See above, you should have called me if you had my numbers aboard. Home
Hardware (sort of walking distance) has a selection of SS fasteners. And
then there is Central Supplies and Canadian Tire, not really walking
distance but if you knew someone in town with a car...Oh well, maybe next
time...

more snipped bits

Sheldon Haynie
Texas Instruments
50 Phillipe Cote
Manchester, NH 03101
603 222 8652

Glad you had a good trip. Hope you liked it enough to make it back
sometime.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada