posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

Default Got a Navman 3100 Wind or Depth display not working???

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:18:16 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote:

Segments on my Navman 3100 depth instrument started fading
out or not working at all. I was wondering why and thinking
perhaps I'd have to replace the instrument because I don't
think Navman is in business any longer.

Anyhow, I was poking around the Internet and I found the
following:

http://www.atomic4.com/navman.html

This site tells what the problem is and how to
fix it. Basically, a glue-on ribbon connector
ends up not connecting so well.

This YouTube Link shows how to fix it yourself
after getting the correct part from the above
site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktikoDNn7Y

I think I'm going to order two of those fancy
connectors. If my depth instrument is having
the problem can my wind instrument be far behind?

I wonder, however, why can't the original
ribbon connector just be cleaned up and
glued back on? It must be a specialized form
of glue however so it conducts electricity.

Anybody know anything about this or had the
same thing go wrong themselves?

I was poking around some more and I found this

http://www.amazon.com/CyberDoc-LLC-e.../dp/B007GGMIVU

Conductive adhesive tape. I ordered some. Only eight
bucks with shipping. I see no reason I can't just
clean up the original ribbon and circuit board/LCD
connections using acetone/cotton tip swap to get rid
of all the old adhesive and use this conductive tape
to stick the original ribbon back on.

What do you think?

--
Sir Gregory

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:41:52 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

[...]

I don't think that there a strip of conductive adhesive tap across the
entire ribbon cable width, is there? It would seem that a complete
strip simply short all the ribbon conductors together... which
probably wouldn't fix anything :-)

The "Zebra" connection I have seen and that is the conductor with a
sort of pressure strip and the ribbon cable is slipped between them.
They, or a similar design are pretty common. My lap-top has several.
--
Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

[...]

Yes there is, according the YouTube video where the guy
peels the ribbon conductor from the LCD and from the circuit
board.

It would seem that a complete
strip simply short all the ribbon conductors together... which
probably wouldn't fix anything :-)

I wonder about that but I concluded that, since electricity will
take the path of least resistance that it will go the shortest
route to attain that. That should mean from the ribbon connector
directly and straight across the conductive tape to the conductor
directly below or above (whichever the case may be) the conductor
in the ribbon. Or, alternately it could be that the conductive
tape is somehow *polarized* so electricity only goes through it
and not across the width of it?????

The "Zebra" connection I have seen and that is the conductor with a
sort of pressure strip and the ribbon cable is slipped between them.
They, or a similar design are pretty common. My lap-top has several.

If you watch the YouTube video you will see some sort of a connector
that replaces the ribbon altogether. It simply is pressed between
the circuit board contacts and the LCD contacts. It's sort of a
flexible, rubbery affair. It doesn't seem to have any individual
strands but it must somehow isolate the series of conductors one
from the other.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

[...]

While electricity takes the path of least resistance, that is a
relative term. If you make a very low resistance connection, say a 2"
X 2" copper bus bar, that does not preclude electricity flowing
through a parallel, say iron (higher resistance), conductor.

The "Zebra" connection I have seen and that is the conductor with a
sort of pressure strip and the ribbon cable is slipped between them.
They, or a similar design are pretty common. My lap-top has several.

If you watch the YouTube video you will see some sort of a connector
that replaces the ribbon altogether. It simply is pressed between
the circuit board contacts and the LCD contacts. It's sort of a
flexible, rubbery affair. It doesn't seem to have any individual
strands but it must somehow isolate the series of conductors one
from the other.

If you are successful let us know the details of how it was repaired.

I had a similar problem with a Garman GPS and the economical solution
was "buy a new one" :-)
--
Cheers,

Bruce
posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.sailing.]
Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

[Conductive tape to connect flat ribbon cable to PCB]
What do you think?

Wouldn't you short-circuit one contact to the next? Or do you plan
to cut it into tiny stripes, one per contact?

-is
--
A medium apple... weighs 182 grams, yields 95 kcal, and contains no
caffeine, thus making it unsuitable for sysadmins. - Brian Kantor

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 19:24:53 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 06:38:50 +0700, wrote:

If you are successful let us know the details of how it was repaired.

I had a similar problem with a Garman GPS and the economical solution
was "buy a new one" :-)

I'm going to try first with the special tape.
The only snafu I can see is possibly damaging
the ribbon connector when peeling it off and
cleaning the old stickum off it. But, if I peel
it off sideways as opposed to lengthwise there
will be less likelihood of damaging (cracking)
the thin carbon conductors. I'll have to be
careful cleaning off the old adhesive, though,
as acetone may not be the right thing to use
because of the plastic substrate.

You might first try Ronsonol lighter fuel - it is the standby for used
book sellers to take sticky labels off used books and doesn't seem to
damage anything.

I also ordered the Zebra connectors but the guy
is on vacation until early July so I'll have to
wait until he gets back from vacation. But,
when I get everything, I'll tackle the job and
I'll have a fall back plan with the Zebra
connectors in case the special adhesive tape
repair to the ribbon doesn't work because of
damage to the ribbon. On the other hand, perhaps
an electronics store might even sell new ribbon
of the correct width???

--
Cheers,

Bruce