posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] is offline

Default Got a Navman 3100 Wind or Depth display not working???

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:18:16 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote:

Segments on my Navman 3100 depth instrument started fading
out or not working at all. I was wondering why and thinking
perhaps I'd have to replace the instrument because I don't
think Navman is in business any longer.

Anyhow, I was poking around the Internet and I found the
following:

http://www.atomic4.com/navman.html

This site tells what the problem is and how to
fix it. Basically, a glue-on ribbon connector
ends up not connecting so well.

This YouTube Link shows how to fix it yourself
after getting the correct part from the above
site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktikoDNn7Y

I think I'm going to order two of those fancy
connectors. If my depth instrument is having
the problem can my wind instrument be far behind?

I wonder, however, why can't the original
ribbon connector just be cleaned up and
glued back on? It must be a specialized form
of glue however so it conducts electricity.

Anybody know anything about this or had the
same thing go wrong themselves?

I was poking around some more and I found this

http://www.amazon.com/CyberDoc-LLC-e.../dp/B007GGMIVU

Conductive adhesive tape. I ordered some. Only eight
bucks with shipping. I see no reason I can't just
clean up the original ribbon and circuit board/LCD
connections using acetone/cotton tip swap to get rid
of all the old adhesive and use this conductive tape
to stick the original ribbon back on.

What do you think?

--
Sir Gregory