posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.checkmate,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

Default I'm so smart . . .

Unlike you lazy lubbers, I don't have pressure water. My yacht's
potable water is contained in tanks which are connected to
hand-pumps with flexible hoses.

Here's an example of a ohand pump:

http://www.westmarine.com/freshwater...y-pump--190595

Well, my galley pump was getting harder and harder to operate and just
the smallest stream of water was coming out the spout. I checked the
length of the hose to the water tank for pinching and kinks but there
were none. The only other thing I figured it could be was there must
be a screen on the end of the hose inside the tank. The screen must
slowly have gotten clogged. Getting to this would involve removing the
tank - an all day job.

Well, I used my brain instead of my brawn. I removed the hose where
it connects to the pump and fitted it with a brass fitting and
Schrader valve which I have in stock for use to pressurize and
overboard discharge my sewage holding tank. I hose-clamped it on so it
wouldn't leak and then I connected an old fashioned bicycle floor pump
to the Schrader valve and pumped away. At first it was a little hard
to pump then I heard a bubbling noise and it got easier and easier to
pump. In other words, the debris that was clogging the intake screen
was blown out.

Now the galley pump is easy to operate and lots of water comes out on
every stroke. I added a little bleach to the tank to kill any
stirred-up bacteria, algae, etc.

You dumbass lubbers would find yourself spending hundreds of dollars
paying a plumber while it didn't cost me one thin dime - just a little
thought and elbow grease. Now, I'm about ready to break out a cold
bottle of wine from my refrigerator that runs from environmentally
friendly photovoltaics causing no greenhouse gasses to be released to
the environment.

Living off the grid is so darned responsible and kewl. Living on the
grid and complaining about greenhouse gasses like you freaking lubbers
do is the height of hypocrisy.

--
Sir Gregory
posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.checkmate,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 15:29:18 -0500, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

Unlike you lazy lubbers, I don't have pressure water. My yacht's
potable water...

....isn't potable, apparently.

--
The internet: where pointing out the folly
of others is labeled bullying. Jessica Lewis
posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.checkmate,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

Unlike you lazy lubbers, I don't have pressure water. My yacht's
potable water...

...isn't potable, apparently.

Bleach is a recommended disinfectant for potable water containers.

WATER PURIFICATION
1) Clear water is a sign of pure water. Always drain long-standing
pipes for 30 seconds to one minute before drinking! (Cheap remote
motels?)

2) 1 Gallon water is disinfected by 8-16 drops of regular household
bleach (visually about 1/4 of a teaspoon) - double that for cloudy
water. Shake and let stand 30 minutes. One teaspoon will disinfect 5
gallons. Immediately after treating, water must initially have a
slight smell of chlorine. If it does not - repeat the process.

3) Household bleach is relatively harmless. The smell or ?waft? of
chlorine is not bad: it indicates that water is treated and germ free.
Once treated and disinfected, the chlorine smell will go away in a few
days.

4) Regularly used water from large tanks may be treated once or twice
a month with 1 Oz. bleach per 200 gallons or 5 Oz. bleach per 1000
gallons.

5) Long-standing water in tanks will be disinfected w/ 1 pint
household bleach per 1000 gallons. (2500 gal tanks are fine with 3
pints.)

6) Bleach effectively kills bacteria and viruses, stops smells and
then breaks down. It's effective germ killing alkaline property is
completely neutralized very quickly. It does not stay chemically
active in tanks for more than a few days. Most germs require sunlight
to grow. Store water in the dark.

7) If water is relatively clear: but has a noticeable smell of
chlorine: it is drinkable, disinfected, and harmless. Humans need 2
quarts per day.

Source: http://www.newjerusalem.com/PureWater.htm

HTH

--
Sir Gregory
posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.checkmate,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

[...]

Now I'm ready for the apocalypse.

In the meantime, I'll continue to drink the filtered water from my
tap.

--
The internet: where pointing out the folly
of others is labeled bullying. Jessica Lewis
posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.checkmate,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa

Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts
by Checkmate!

First check out what Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. said:

[...]

You... you unclogged the **** on the end of your water intake with some
compressed air, and you think that's a big deal? That's bush league
****, Gweggles. Tell me when you actually do something more remarkable.

If I were you, I'd probably be a little more concerned about what kind
of crap is floating around in your water supply. Then again, I don't
**** in a bucket and then wash my dishes in it. Just sayin'...

--
Checkmate

"The Man Who Spanked Fakey"

KotAGoR XXXIV
AUK Hammer of Thor award, Feb. 2012
co-winner, Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook,
Line & Sinker award, May 2001
Copyright © 2014
all rights reserved

wrote:

[...]

I keep plenty of bleach around, because you just never know...

--
Checkmate

"The Man Who Spanked Fakey"

KotAGoR XXXIV
AUK Hammer of Thor award, Feb. 2012
co-winner, Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook,
Line & Sinker award, May 2001
Copyright © 2014
all rights reserved
posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.checkmate,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa
% % is offline

Checkmate wrote:
[...]

he's really not all there you know

First check out what % said:

Checkmate wrote:
[...]

Where's the rest of him?

First check out what % said:

Checkmate wrote:
[...]

That calls for an O and a couple of L's.