Default Two steps forward, and one step - a huge one - back...

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 15:28:27 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Rinse, repeat #s 1-4, until the tranny has been in all 4 positions.

Wash and dry hands.

===

That's probably as good as it gets, at least for now. If you have
something close to normal backstay tension it may not change much when
you launch.

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:03:00 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message news:k2iqko$1dh$1@dont-
[trim]

So, reading the followups, I see I wasn't adequately complete in my
descriptions...

This is a 4" coupling and transmission flange.

1) I left the bolts loose.

Got it!

2) I rotated the entire assembly 90° at a time, pulling the coupler to the
tranny flange as tightly as possible after each rotation, inserting (failing
at the end) the feeler gauge around the entire face (which, since the tranny
plate is a butterfly, amounted to really only about 215° or so out of
360°).

Got it! But how dumb is it to tighten down the bolts all the way and then
attempt to insert a feeler gauge? Duh. There is enough power in a tightened
down set of bolts to draw together flanges that ARE NOT PARALLEL. Can't you
see this simple reality, Skippy?

Err.... Calling planet Willie-boy. He specifically stated that "I left
the bolts loose" and never mentions tightening them. Apparently you
don't read English well.

I also noted that later in the thread he mentions "washing his hands",
something I have never seen you claim to do. Sp apparently we have
Skip the Clean and Dirty Willie.

3) I unbolted and rotated the transmission flange 90° and rebolted (see
#1).

4) Shake the engine vigorously

Rinse, repeat #s 1-4, until the tranny has been in all 4 positions.

Wash and dry hands.

Go home.

Well, put on your thinking cap and go BACK TO WORK because you did it wrong.

Here's why:

prop shaft motor/transmission shaft
-------------------------------| |-----------------------

Note how if they are indeed on the same centerline then the flanges will be
parallel.

But what if this is the case: (exagerated, of course due to interface
limitiations)

-----------------------------|
|---------------------------------

Note how both shaft plates are parallel but they will BIND LIKE HELL when
tightened together.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:17:30 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

Ah, the voice of the fool is heard thru the land. But my dear sir, it
is far better to be a joke then a horse's arse.

Says, "Bruce, stuck at a Bangkok Dock" for the past 25 years because
he failed to complete his planned circumnavigation because he wasn't
up to the task.

Failing, no matter how lofty the goal, is still failing. It is far better to
be a
success at coastal cruising than a failure at world cruising.

Tsk tsk!

Wilbur Hubbard

And what goal would that be? World Cruising? Never contemplated it.
Sailing as a recreation? Been there, did that.
Earning a living and supporting my wife and family, been there and
done that too.

So tell us Mr. Meter Reader, what have you done?

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:49:41 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

[trim]

Hey STUPID! Read the message before you set out to amaze us with your
knowledge (or lack thereof). The O.P. stated, "... but not yet
tightened, as we've not yet aligned the engine."

Read it again, "WE'VE NOT YET ALIGNED THE ENGINE".

Duh, aligning the engine is a necessary part of the process. Because Skippy
has yet to do so does not mean that in order to align engine with propeller
shaft that he will never be doing so. He has even described how difficult the
engine bed alignment bolts were to reach and how he didn't have a wrench that
fits well. That means Skippy is 'in the process' of aligning the engine in
order to align the two shafts.

Got it yet? HE HASN'T YET ALIGNED THE ENGINE, you ignorant fool.

So you must be thinking that Skippy intends to never align the engine with the
propeller shaft so both shafts will be on the same centerline when looked at
both horizontally and vertically? How droll!

Question. Does sweeping the floor and emptying the trash can
constitute "help build"?

Yes, it does. Irwin hired several women whose job it was to clean up the
interior and exterior of the yachts while they were being built. The
carpenters, for example, would never DREAM of cleaning up their sawdust.

But, I was not a janitor. Now it is my turn to ask you, "CAN YOU READ?" as I
plainly stated I worked as an MEP. This means I installed systems that
included Mechanical (such as Yanmar engines) and air conditioners, sinks etc.,
Electrical, such as wiring, lighting, electric pumps, generators, distribution
panels, etc.) and Plumbing such as pressure water systems, waste systems, fuel
systems, etc.

Of course these things you never do sitting for 25 years at the Bangkok dock.
LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Janitor? No one argues that you ever attained this lofty position.
Goodness, being a janitor involves washing things and Dirty Willie has
never bragged about that (and it is sure that if he ever had, be would
have bragged about it).

NO, according to other posters Dirty Willie's highest skill attainment
consisted of reading a water meter.

wrote:

Rinse, repeat #s 1-4, until the tranny has been in all 4 positions.

Wash and dry hands.

===

That's probably as good as it gets, at least for now. If you have
something close to normal backstay tension it may not change much when
you launch.

I doubt Bruce in Bangkok ever washed his hands after having had one (or
several) of those Thai trannies in all four positions.

Can you say "lady boy?" Hee hee hee!!!!!!!!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:57:26 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Rinse, repeat #s 1-4, until the tranny has been in all 4 positions.

Wash and dry hands.

===

That's probably as good as it gets, at least for now. If you have
something close to normal backstay tension it may not change much when
you launch.

I doubt Bruce in Bangkok ever washed his hands after having had one (or
several) of those Thai trannies in all four positions.

Can you say "lady boy?" Hee hee hee!!!!!!!!

Wilbur Hubbard

Nice try. Futile but an effort was made - 1 gold star.

But actually having a wife, of some forty years, a son and two lovely
grand kids, I'm fairly well satisfied.

And Willie-boy has? someone said a rusted out van?

Coakley steps in it again C. Mor Butts General 3 January 16th 10 03:40 PM
Superior Boats are Not Middle Steps Bob Crantz ASA 1 January 21st 06 08:19 PM
Winterizing help needed, I/O Step by Step Matt General 2 November 5th 04 03:11 AM
mast steps - fastep? bruce General 0 January 23rd 04 03:24 AM
Erie Canal Mast step/un-step David Lomas Cruising 2 August 19th 03 03:22 AM