Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default Two steps forward, and one step - a huge one - back...

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:03:00 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message news:k2iqko$1dh$1@dont-
[trim]

So, reading the followups, I see I wasn't adequately complete in my
descriptions...

This is a 4" coupling and transmission flange.

1) I left the bolts loose.

Got it!

2) I rotated the entire assembly 90° at a time, pulling the coupler to the
tranny flange as tightly as possible after each rotation, inserting (failing
at the end) the feeler gauge around the entire face (which, since the tranny
plate is a butterfly, amounted to really only about 215° or so out of
360°).

Got it! But how dumb is it to tighten down the bolts all the way and then
attempt to insert a feeler gauge? Duh. There is enough power in a tightened
down set of bolts to draw together flanges that ARE NOT PARALLEL. Can't you
see this simple reality, Skippy?

Err.... Calling planet Willie-boy. He specifically stated that "I left
the bolts loose" and never mentions tightening them. Apparently you
don't read English well.

I also noted that later in the thread he mentions "washing his hands",
something I have never seen you claim to do. Sp apparently we have
Skip the Clean and Dirty Willie.

3) I unbolted and rotated the transmission flange 90° and rebolted (see
#1).

4) Shake the engine vigorously

Rinse, repeat #s 1-4, until the tranny has been in all 4 positions.

Wash and dry hands.

Go home.

Well, put on your thinking cap and go BACK TO WORK because you did it wrong.

Here's why:

prop shaft motor/transmission shaft
-------------------------------| |-----------------------

Note how if they are indeed on the same centerline then the flanges will be
parallel.

But what if this is the case: (exagerated, of course due to interface
limitiations)

Note how both shaft plates are parallel but they will BIND LIKE HELL when
tightened together.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard