Joe Joe is offline

Default Are you the Skipper or is the Helmsman ?

Here is some interesting news that you need to know.

Captain vs Operator responsibility.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...04&#post823285

Joe

Joe wrote:
Here is some interesting news that you need to know.

Captain vs Operator responsibility.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...04&#post823285

Joe

That's just insane!

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

"Joe" wrote in message
Here is some interesting news that you need to know.

Captain vs Operator responsibility.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...04&#post823285

Joe

I recall that Roger Long blowhard from the old alt.sailing.asa days. Talk a
bout a know-it-all! So, now he's writing sailing rag articles? LOL! A good
instance of the blind leading the blind.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:51:50 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
Here is some interesting news that you need to know.

Captain vs Operator responsibility.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...04&#post823285

Joe

I recall that Roger Long blowhard from the old alt.sailing.asa days. Talk a
bout a know-it-all! So, now he's writing sailing rag articles? LOL! A good
instance of the blind leading the blind.

Wilbur Hubbard

Show us your POC card willie-boy.....

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
Here is some interesting news that you need to know.

Captain vs Operator responsibility.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...04&#post823285

Joe

I recall that Roger Long blowhard from the old alt.sailing.asa days. Talk
bout a know-it-all! So, now he's writing sailing rag articles? LOL! A
good
instance of the blind leading the blind.

Show us your POC card willie-boy.....

My *WHAT* card????

Have you read any sailing periodicals lately, Bruce. If so, you will note
how they are written at probably a sixth or seventh-grade level and they all
glorify irresponsibility and ineptitude. They're a disgrace and the folks
who write them have even less redeeming social value than the so shallow
articles themselves. A real writer would not be published because a real
writer would expose the stupidity and ineptitude that passes for today's
so-called sailor and expose in plain language applicable to sailing the
magazine articles that cater to the lowest common denominator. Get a clue,
boy! Surely, as dumb as you are you must agree that the typical sailing
magazine article is a JOKE.

Wilbur Hubbard

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
.70...

Prime example of that great American idea... "everyone else is
responsible
for my irresponsibility" coupled with that other great American idea of
"deep pockets"

So true. Why, just yesterday I was in a crossing situation with my 6-foot,
2HP motor dinghy having on her port bow a fifty-foot trawler. Did the
trawler do anything but stand on causing me to have to turn to port and pass
astern to avoid a collision? Negative. Probably well fewer than half the
people operating motorboats these days know or understand the simplest of
the Rules of the Road. It's a crying shame. And even sadder is the fact that
they will litigate rather than admit they are in the wrong if and when they
cause a collision.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:45:05 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

So true. Why, just yesterday I was in a crossing situation with my 6-foot,
2HP motor dinghy having on her port bow a fifty-foot trawler. Did the
trawler do anything but stand on causing me to have to turn to port and pass
astern to avoid a collision? Negative.

Was the trawler restricted in ability to maneuver?

Did you sound the danger signal?

Did you attempt to contact them in advance on VHF channel 13 or 16?

Admiralty Court would probably find you both liable in the event of a
collision, if only because it is fooliish to challenge a much larger
vessel for the right of way.

wrote:

So true. Why, just yesterday I was in a crossing situation with my 6-foot,
2HP motor dinghy having on her port bow a fifty-foot trawler. Did the
trawler do anything but stand on causing me to have to turn to port and
pass
astern to avoid a collision? Negative.

Was the trawler restricted in ability to maneuver?

Negative. He was proceeding through the harbor and was not showing RAM
shaped. Water depths were adequate.

Did you sound the danger signal?

Negative, that would probably have just freaked him out. And, a dinghy is
only required to carry a whistle which he probably couldn't hear anyway.

Did you attempt to contact them in advance on VHF channel 13 or 16?

A VHF in a 6-foot dinghy? C'mon, get serious.

Admiralty Court would probably find you both liable in the event of a
collision, if only because it is fooliish to challenge a much larger
vessel for the right of way.

That's why I took action in time to avoid a collision by turning to port and
passing astern of him though the Rules say not to turn to port. I knew he
didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and was going to continue to
stand on because his was the larger vessel. Do you wonder why you motor
boaters don't merit much respect?

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

So true. Why, just yesterday I was in a crossing situation with my 6-foot,
2HP motor dinghy having on her port bow a fifty-foot trawler. Did the
trawler do anything but stand on causing me to have to turn to port and pass
astern to avoid a collision? Negative.

Was the trawler restricted in ability to maneuver?

Did you sound the danger signal?

Did you attempt to contact them in advance on VHF channel 13 or 16?

Admiralty Court would probably find you both liable in the event of a
collision, if only because it is fooliish to challenge a much larger
vessel for the right of way.

Perhaps the trawler guy knew who he was :-?
Cheers,

Bruce