Default should I get SSB

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. Next stop is Spanish Wells. So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts? I would not mind having one
but the PRICE, YIKES. and then there is the matter of an antenna. IS
it possible to find a used SSB for reasonable price? I don't yak on
the radio anyway and have probably not used my cell phone more'n 5
times in the last 6 months.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. Next stop is Spanish Wells. So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts? I would not mind having one
but the PRICE, YIKES. and then there is the matter of an antenna. IS
it possible to find a used SSB for reasonable price? I don't yak on
the radio anyway and have probably not used my cell phone more'n 5
times in the last 6 months.

Don't waste your money on a SSB.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bob Bob is offline

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'

Don't waste your money on a SSB.
Wilbur Hubbard

Here Wilbur and I agree.
Because of my personal preferences and transiting style I don not use
an SSB. I place the ssb in the same catigory as three strand nylon
anchor rode, phone answering machines, and buggie whips.

Why:
1) cost. How much will a typical new install cost? $4-5-6 thousand
bucks??? Be sure to count your labor at minimum wage. But this is
where all the gabby Gurties chime in and say, nahh you can get a good
rig setup for 2500 bucks. Ya if your some slob who get an errection
playing with radio parts. buys 15 year old equipment and fubar some
installation.
2) I use Irridium for reliable anywhere voice and data. Oh, but that
cost soooo much say the radio geeks. Not so. just do the research and
compare $$$$.
3) But you cant get weather fax or email using Irridum.......... say
the geeks.
Sure I do. I have a SSB reciever for weather fax I also get weather
fax with irridium. Its called redundant systems. Two totally differnt
methods of receiving crucial route planning info.
4) but what if you have to call for MAYDAY..... I have a gps EPIRB
Plus Id rather call up teh SAR guys on Iridum and have them put out
the word I declaired a MADAY at lat-long. Ill have other things to do
if Im in trouble that yack on some radio. Let the pros do what they do
best. Ill be busiy responding to my emergency.
5) Now all the Skip boaters who jones when they dont have an audience
will say the ssb is absoltly indespensable.... Ya if you need a false
sense of "conection."

I summary: A) irridium B) ssb RECEIVER ONLY C) gps EPERB D) VHF
Especially on a 28 foot boat. Now if you have a 60 steel boat go for
it youll have enough room for such folly.
Bob

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:53:57 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. Next stop is Spanish Wells. So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts? I would not mind having one
but the PRICE, YIKES. and then there is the matter of an antenna. IS
it possible to find a used SSB for reasonable price? I don't yak on
the radio anyway and have probably not used my cell phone more'n 5
times in the last 6 months.

For whatever it's worth.

A friend of mine sold his old boat and bought a Prout Cat (don't ask
me why) and the new boat had only a VHF. He did a lot of looking and
counting and decided that he could get a satellite phone and receive
calls, e-mails and weather charts that way considerably cheaper then
the cost of the SSB, Tuner, Antennas, etc.

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. Next stop is Spanish Wells. So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts?

You can get weather on a sat phone if you know how. For your level of
cruising I think you are OK with an EPIRB and a sat phone. You could
get an SSB receiver for fax reception on your laptop.

Bob Bob is offline

wrote:
[...]

Dear Bruce:

Thank you for a more measured response than mine.

I was once a died-in-the-wool full keel double ender advocate for open
ocean crossings. But after seeing some of the Winabegos that are
anchored in back water holes Im continually amazed at what can float
successfull around the world. I guess anyone lacking maritme skills, a
near coast design (cat) and lax maintance can succeed.
Heck, even some guy sailed a bunch of reeds tied toghether crossed an
ocean (TH). Double heck, look at Skip and Lydia and Joe ! Uh, well
maybe not.

wrote:

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. Next stop is Spanish Wells. So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts?

You can get weather on a sat phone if you know how. For your level of
cruising I think you are OK with an EPIRB and a sat phone. You could
get an SSB receiver for fax reception on your laptop.

Don't know the area but sounds like he'll be in VHF range most times.
Whats wrong with VHF weather?

wrote:

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. Next stop is Spanish Wells. So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts?

You can get weather on a sat phone if you know how. For your level of
cruising I think you are OK with an EPIRB and a sat phone. You could
get an SSB receiver for fax reception on your laptop.

Don't know the area but sounds like he'll be in VHF range most times.
Whats wrong with VHF weather?

There is no VHF weather in the Bahamas unless you are close to Miami
or can access one of the cruiser nets. VHF weather is a US thing.

SSB Gordon Cruising 9 August 8th 06 01:10 AM
ssb Gordon Cruising 36 April 3rd 05 06:02 AM
Which SSB should I buy? Rickard Electronics 0 October 23rd 04 10:14 PM
ssb Andre Venter Cruising 13 September 29th 03 07:12 PM
New to SSB Keith Electronics 7 September 11th 03 12:36 AM