Bob Bob is offline

Default should I get SSB

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'

Don't waste your money on a SSB.
Wilbur Hubbard

Here Wilbur and I agree.
Because of my personal preferences and transiting style I don not use
an SSB. I place the ssb in the same catigory as three strand nylon
anchor rode, phone answering machines, and buggie whips.

Why:
1) cost. How much will a typical new install cost? $4-5-6 thousand
bucks??? Be sure to count your labor at minimum wage. But this is
where all the gabby Gurties chime in and say, nahh you can get a good
rig setup for 2500 bucks. Ya if your some slob who get an errection
playing with radio parts. buys 15 year old equipment and fubar some
installation.
2) I use Irridium for reliable anywhere voice and data. Oh, but that
cost soooo much say the radio geeks. Not so. just do the research and
compare $$$$.
3) But you cant get weather fax or email using Irridum.......... say
the geeks.
Sure I do. I have a SSB reciever for weather fax I also get weather
fax with irridium. Its called redundant systems. Two totally differnt
methods of receiving crucial route planning info.
4) but what if you have to call for MAYDAY..... I have a gps EPIRB
Plus Id rather call up teh SAR guys on Iridum and have them put out
the word I declaired a MADAY at lat-long. Ill have other things to do
if Im in trouble that yack on some radio. Let the pros do what they do
best. Ill be busiy responding to my emergency.
5) Now all the Skip boaters who jones when they dont have an audience
will say the ssb is absoltly indespensable.... Ya if you need a false
sense of "conection."

I summary: A) irridium B) ssb RECEIVER ONLY C) gps EPERB D) VHF
Especially on a 28 foot boat. Now if you have a 60 steel boat go for
it youll have enough room for such folly.
Bob