Bob Bob is offline

Default should I get SSB

On Feb 2, 6:20*pm, Bruce wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:53:57 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch

wrote:
All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. *Next stop is Spanish Wells. *So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts? *I would not mind having one
but the PRICE, YIKES. *and then there is the matter of an antenna. *IS
it possible to find a used SSB for reasonable price? *I don't yak on
the radio anyway and have probably not used my cell phone more'n 5
times in the last 6 months.

For whatever it's worth.

A friend of mine sold his old boat and bought a Prout Cat (don't ask
me why) and the new boat had only a VHF. He did a lot of looking and
counting and decided that he could get a satellite phone and receive
calls, e-mails and weather charts that way considerably cheaper then
the cost of the SSB, Tuner, Antennas, etc.

Cheers,

Bruce

Dear Bruce:

Thank you for a more measured response than mine.

I was once a died-in-the-wool full keel double ender advocate for open
ocean crossings. But after seeing some of the Winabegos that are
anchored in back water holes Im continually amazed at what can float
successfull around the world. I guess anyone lacking maritme skills, a
near coast design (cat) and lax maintance can succeed.
Heck, even some guy sailed a bunch of reeds tied toghether crossed an
ocean (TH). Double heck, look at Skip and Lydia and Joe ! Uh, well
maybe not.