Mark Borgerson Mark Borgerson is offline

Default should I get SSB

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:05:36 -0800, Gordon wrote:

On 2/2/2011 7:09 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:53:57 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

All I have now is VHF but will be slowly cruising southward in my 28'
S2 sailboat from Marsh harbor. Next stop is Spanish Wells. So, do I
really NEED SSB to get weather forecasts?

You can get weather on a sat phone if you know how. For your level of
cruising I think you are OK with an EPIRB and a sat phone. You could
get an SSB receiver for fax reception on your laptop.

Don't know the area but sounds like he'll be in VHF range most times.
Whats wrong with VHF weather?

There is no VHF weather in the Bahamas unless you are close to Miami
or can access one of the cruiser nets. VHF weather is a US thing.

Not sure about VHF weather fax, but VHF audio forecasts
are available in Canada and Mexico, not just the US.

Mark Borgerson