Keith

Default New to SSB

Ok! Now I've got my great new SSB installed. How the heck do I use it? The
manual has all the technical stuff to operate it, but I'm looking for a book
or site that is a primer for SSB operation. I mean really basic, like what
frequency is the equivalent of 16 from VHF? TIA!

--

Keith
__

Larry W4CSC

I just found you some more information on the current state of the
FCC's online system. Go read:
http://www.w5yi.org/Sep%2015%202001.htm

The FCC ULS/CORES/TIN/FRN system is a mess. FCC is helping IRS track
down its tax cheats, non-filers, which is what the FRN is all about.

Good luck. You're gonna need it!

Larry W4CSC/MM2 (soon I hope!)

Keith

Hehehe! Thanks for all the info. I've already been through that minefield,
have my CORES number, Ships station license and restricted radiotelephone
operator's permit. All of these require only a fee and you have to prove
your ability to navigate endless government bureaucracy. I think I sent the
application for the RTOP in three times before they liked it.

--

Keith
__
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
I just found you some more information on the current state of the
FCC's online system. Go read:
http://www.w5yi.org/Sep%2015%202001.htm

The FCC ULS/CORES/TIN/FRN system is a mess. FCC is helping IRS track
down its tax cheats, non-filers, which is what the FRN is all about.

Good luck. You're gonna need it!

Larry W4CSC/MM2 (soon I hope!)

JAD

Default ANOTHER great beginners SSB resource

Keith, check out the excellent and FREE BOOK by noted radio "instructor"
Gordon West, on Icom's website as a multiple chapter .pdf document. Is
worth downloading, printing up and placing in your new Commo Binder aboard
the boat (you HAVE a Commo Binder.....right???) It's where you put all of
those nifty downloads from the USCG NAVCEN in too!

Point your browser toward www.icomamerica.com go to downloads, agree to the
copyright stuff, and click on misc. .pdf files and you will find "Marine
HF-SSB Simplified." One of the best books for new maritime HF-SSB operators
you will find anywhere. It WILL answer as many of the questions you have,
and leave you with quite a few more....but the guys here on this group can
help with those...

Another ONLINE read that's worth a look (although it has a bit of
advertisement mixed in) are the pages of www.hfradio.com
This site good for the various commercial (you PAY for it) data / e-mail
stuff that's out there.

Larry may have mentioned this....but to get the MOST utility from a HF/SSB
installation on a boat, and, if you intend to cruise offshore, I would
STRONGLY recommend that you become a licensed amateur radio (ham) operator.
It's not that difficult, you will learn some ESSENTIAL information about the
technical side of radio communications, and you will meet MANY very nice
people with the same interests as you......like......ME for example! E-mail
service through Amateur radio stations worldwide do cost a few bux, but are
WAY cheaper. You are about 100 times more likely to contact a HAM station
in a true emergency offshore, than ANY commercial or Coast Guard HF station.
While it is indeed legal to yell for help on the ham frequencies (if you are
not a licensed ham,) it sure is helpful if you know where to look and whom
you may find there!

Enjoy your new HF station!
Joe

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

Keith

Hey, I want that Iranian air force designator! Well, maybe not...

--

Keith
__
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 07:02:06 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

Hehehe! Thanks for all the info. I've already been through that

minefield,
have my CORES number, Ships station license and restricted radiotelephone
operator's permit. All of these require only a fee and you have to prove
your ability to navigate endless government bureaucracy. I think I sent

the
application for the RTOP in three times before they liked it.

After navigating all that, the trip to Tahiti should be
childsplay!....(c;

I see you've already adapted your life to an endless new series of
Government Acronyms, already. You'll do just fine. I have my CORES,
TIN, URL, SSN, MMSI, ARS, USN, Iranian Air Force and SCDC numbers.
Obviously, I'm way ahead of you....

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:30:45 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

Ok! Now I've got my great new SSB installed. How the heck do I use it? The
manual has all the technical stuff to operate it, but I'm looking for a book
or site that is a primer for SSB operation. I mean really basic, like what
frequency is the equivalent of 16 from VHF? TIA!

--

Keith
__
Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for large values of 2.

the freq 2182 is the SSB equivalent of channel 16.
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
Doug Dotson

Although the name is goofy, Marine SSB Radio For "Idi-Yachts" is good.
It contains alot on operating procedures and also the multitude of
frequecies
and what they are used for. Well worth the $20.

Doug
s/v Callista