Default Help with fridge

my fridge has lost the gas, it is a danfoss Bd50F compressor that only
seems to have one service port. Is this normal? My fridge
troubleshooting book says there should be 2. Do I hook up just the
suction hose of the manifold gauge to this? Also do I need a vacume
pump to remove air or can I use the compressor to do this.

"Longkeel35" wrote in message

my fridge has lost the gas, it is a danfoss Bd50F compressor that only
seems to have one service port. Is this normal? My fridge
troubleshooting book says there should be 2. Do I hook up just the
suction hose of the manifold gauge to this? Also do I need a vacume
pump to remove air or can I use the compressor to do this.

Go to your local NAPA auto parts store and purchase an adapter that you can
screw to the top Schrader valve equipped service port. You will need to
remove the Schrader valve itself prior to installing this adapter. Do it
quickly and you won't lose all the pressure and you won't have to do the
vacuum pump trick.

Once you have the adapter installed you can then use commercial R34
automobile air conditioner refills and hoses/gauge to recharge your fridge.
Get one with a pressure gauge and pressurize the fridge only to the top of
the yellow. Filling it to the green is too much pressure for the fridge and
it won't work.

I did this with mine because it seems to have developed a slow leak
someplace. It lasts about a season before needing a recharge. But a recharge
is simple and cheap with the adapter in place.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Jan 3, 8:37*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Wilbur but I will probably have to solder the leak to fix it
which I assume means I will have to take all the gas out first? I have
already organized to get the normal manifold gauges for fridges.

Regards

Steve

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:28:21 -0800 (PST), Longkeel35
wrote:

my fridge has lost the gas, it is a danfoss Bd50F compressor that only
seems to have one service port. Is this normal? My fridge
troubleshooting book says there should be 2. Do I hook up just the
suction hose of the manifold gauge to this? Also do I need a vacume
pump to remove air or can I use the compressor to do this.

Which side of the pump is the port on? The suction or the pressure
side?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Which side of the pump is the port on? The suction or the pressure
side?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

in the manual it states that it is the suction service port

Steve

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:38:59 -0800 (PST), Longkeel35
wrote:

Which side of the pump is the port on? The suction or the pressure
side?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

in the manual it states that it is the suction service port

Steve

Then you *could* use that port for servicing.

To answer a previously asked question, if the system has lost its
charge and air has entered the system then you will need to vacuum the
system to remove any moisture that might have gotten into the system.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Longkeel35" wrote in message

my fridge has lost the gas, it is a danfoss Bd50F compressor that only
seems to have one service port. Is this normal? My fridge
troubleshooting book says there should be 2. Do I hook up just the
suction hose of the manifold gauge to this? Also do I need a vacume
pump to remove air or can I use the compressor to do this.

Do you have a license to handle, (or even have in your posession) the
refrigerant? I could turn your ass in, and share in the fine (minimum of
$15,000) that you will have to pay. I could use that extra money since the
bills for Christmas are starting to come in.

Go to your local NAPA auto parts store and purchase an adapter that you
can screw to the top Schrader valve equipped service port. You will need
to remove the Schrader valve itself prior to installing this adapter. Do
it quickly and you won't lose all the pressure and you won't have to do
the vacuum pump trick.

Once you have the adapter installed you can then use commercial R34
automobile air conditioner refills and hoses/gauge to recharge your
fridge. Get one with a pressure gauge and pressurize the fridge only to
the top of the yellow. Filling it to the green is too much pressure for
the fridge and it won't work.

I did this with mine because it seems to have developed a slow leak
someplace. It lasts about a season before needing a recharge. But a
recharge is simple and cheap with the adapter in place.

Wilbur Hubbard

You, too! And you've probably created an extra leak with your cheap-ass
adapter. What-in-the-HELL is wrong with getting things done correctly?

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:30:13 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

To answer a previously asked question, if the system has lost its
charge and air has entered the system then you will need to vacuum the
system to remove any moisture that might have gotten into the system.

Yes, and it should be professionally leak checked at the same time.

"Ekal Byar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Longkeel35" wrote in message

my fridge has lost the gas, it is a danfoss Bd50F compressor that only
seems to have one service port. Is this normal? My fridge
troubleshooting book says there should be 2. Do I hook up just the
suction hose of the manifold gauge to this? Also do I need a vacume
pump to remove air or can I use the compressor to do this.

Do you have a license to handle, (or even have in your posession) the
refrigerant? I could turn your ass in, and share in the fine (minimum of
$15,000) that you will have to pay. I could use that extra money since
the bills for Christmas are starting to come in.

One needs no licence to purchase and use R34 refigerant. It's available in
most any auto parts store and Wal Mart and K Mart. R34 is considered safe
and doesn't harm the ozone layer. In lieu of R34 I have recently learned
that plain old propane works even better. I'm reluctant to try it as it's
explosive. Also I'm told that the propane molecule is much larger and leaks
less.

[...]

No leak created with the adapter. As a matter of fact, I used R34 with leak
stop and it seems to have plugged the original leak from the inside out. As
for getting things done *correctly* I tried that and it failed. I paid for a
service call from a refrigeration company. They came out to the boat,
refilled the unit and checked it for leaks with their fancy and expensive
leak detector and gave it a clean bill of health. It lasted about a year. It
lasted about a year from the factory. It apparently came from the factory
with slow leak built in.

So to avoid another $275 dollar service call that accomplished nothing I
decided if I wanted it done right that I'd do it myself. The pressure gauge
cost me fifteen bucks. The adapter about the same. The individual cans of
refrigerant are about seven bucks at Wal Mart. For less than 40 bucks it
seems like I have the leak under control as well as the means to keep it
that way.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 10:44:01 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

One needs no licence to purchase and use R34 refigerant. It's available in
most any auto parts store and Wal Mart and K Mart.

It's actually called R134a, the refrigerant used in most automotive
air conditioners. You still need a gauge set, fittings, can tap,
vacuum pump, leak detector and a modicum of knowledge to do the job
properly.

engine-driven fridge Akka Cruising 31 October 4th 06 02:56 PM
Front Opening fridge? Denis Marier Cruising 26 February 28th 05 12:46 PM
Conserving food without a fridge Steve Smith Cruising 18 August 3rd 04 02:42 AM
Marine Fridge vs. Dorm size fridge & invertor Michael Sutton General 12 August 7th 03 02:29 PM
12volt fridge Larry Cruising 3 August 1st 03 10:57 PM