Default Uniden 525 VHF and general question

In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

"Bruce in alaska" wrote in message
In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Agreed but you could have a bad connection which is heating up under
load.

BINGO! They use one of those crap, 'slow burn' fuses. They heat up and
the
extra impedance reduces the voltage. Get rid of it and put a higher
amperage
rated, fast burn fuse in - end of problem.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bull****.... Wilbur, you need to stick to stuff you know about....
as Peter Bennett pointed out, if the volume at the receiver dropped, but
the background noise didn't change, then the problem is in the
Modulating Deviation, not the Power Output.... This is FM not AM or
SSB.... In FM, once you exceed 12 db of Receiver Quieting the
Background Noise, changes are hardly perceptible, and in FM, the volume
produced in the receiver is directly proportional to the Modulation
Deviation of the Transmitter, until it exceeds the bandwidth of the
Receiver.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

You don't read too well, dude. Skippy said the volume of his 'transmission'
as heard by other listeners in nearby boats decreased noticeably after about
a minute.

So the problem is with Skippy's transmitter and not his receiver. If the
fuse heats up and the voltage drops and the "low voltage" indicator flashes
in the readout as Skippy indicated then that should tell you something. Duh!

Wilbur Hubbard

Actually it is YOU, Wilbur, who can't read, or does NOT understand the
technology that you are talking about. The Deviation of the Modulator in
Skip's Transmitter is EXACTLY what we are DISCUSSING and the VOLUME of
Skips signal has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with the Power OUT of his
Transmitter, but everything to do with the Modulation Deviation of his
Transmitter.... This is why a One WAtt Handheld sounds just as loud, in
a receiver, as a 25 watt radio, when both signals are above the 12db
Quieting Threshold of that receiver.... You just show your ignorance,
when you spout off about things you have no Clue about....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:03:52 -0900, Bruce in alaska
wrote:

Well, it would seem from all the previous posts that there is some
controversy about the recommended RF Coax for VHF Marine Installations
on various Vessel type.... Hmmmm... Well the answers are fairly
straight forward. It really depends on the installation. Small coax,
RG58 types, are alright for runs less than 10 Ft. For runs up 100Ft, RG8
Types Should be used. RG213 is better than RG8 or RG8 Foam Core Types,
due to Wx survivability, and Water Intrusion. The Price Difference
between RG213 and RG214, is usually NOT a cost effective for a NORMAL
Marine Installation, especially on a non-Commercial Vessels, where
budgets are tight. For Military Installations RG214 is the MINIMUM. On
commercial vessels up thru the 80's, RG213 was the standard, for runs
under 100 Ft.

Thanks Bruce

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:04:12 -0600, brian whatcott
wrote:

If a coax gets a 50 ohm lossy
resistance, then it soaks up all the power with no reflection.

That's where I'm coming from...

And so am I. A long length of lossy cable will show no reflected
power which translates to an SWR of 1:1.

wrote:

If a coax gets a 50 ohm lossy
resistance, then it soaks up all the power with no reflection.

That's where I'm coming from...

And so am I. A long length of lossy cable will show no reflected
power which translates to an SWR of 1:1.

Then we are agreed that a SWR reading can be misleading in this
circumstance.

Brian W

wrote:

If a coax gets a 50 ohm lossy
resistance, then it soaks up all the power with no reflection.

That's where I'm coming from...

And so am I. A long length of lossy cable will show no reflected
power which translates to an SWR of 1:1.

Then we are agreed that a SWR reading can be misleading in this
circumstance.

It depends on your expectations. An SWR meter is not the right tool
for evaluating the condition/quality of coax. For that you need a
stable signal source, a dummy load and a good watt meter like a Bird.
The ratio of power in vs power out translates to the loss in dbs with
a little calculation.

Bruce in alaska wrote:

If your paying someone to look at you stuff, and he brings anything
aboard to check the VHF Antennas other than a Bird Wattmeter with the
appropriate Slugs, kick them off your boat as if they had Homeric Fever,
because they are Dufus's and will only cost you money. /snip/

If you Google "VHF", sure enough you find entries about Viral
Hemorrhagic Fevers (VHFs) like Ebola, Dengue and Marburg. :-)

Bird Wattmeters are a trusted article no doubt.
If you come up against a strangely absorptive coax, it might just stay
absorptive on the Bird, even with the load disconnected. That should
provide a clue.

Brian W

On 15/12/2009 12:06, brian whatcott wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:

If your paying someone to look at you stuff, and he brings anything
aboard to check the VHF Antennas other than a Bird Wattmeter with the
appropriate Slugs, kick them off your boat as if they had Homeric
Fever, because they are Dufus's and will only cost you money. /snip/

I can get by with a Hewlett Packard 8754A and Site Master S331D.

http://www.us.anritsu.com/products/S...QQSidZ595.aspx

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

[...]

PKB! You're the one who's clueless. I happen to own one of those crap
radios myself and I have discovered all their foibles and failings. You are
just operating on theory and your theory is little more than an uninformed
guess. So take a hike. When you get some experience with this particular
radio perhaps you can return then.

Besides, anybody living in Alaska where he gets is ass frozen off most of
the year can't be too bright in the first place.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:03:54 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

[...]

I'm given to understand that the Bruce is an expert in these matters.

Besides, anybody living in Alaska where he gets is ass frozen off most of
the year can't be too bright in the first place.

No reason to drag Sarah Palin into a radio discussion.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

--Vic

On 13/12/2009 14:53, Flying Pig wrote:
Hi, y'all,

I've been active on the cruiser's net here in Abaco, and this morning one of
the neighboring boats with a radio and antenna guru aboard called me after
to say that after about a minute of continuous transmission I got faint,
though still very clear. Another station chimed into the conversation to
say they had the same result. *******The original boat is right next to me,**** so
distance or atmospheric stuff was not a factor

Not a good test as his receiver will be grossly overloaded. Could be the
result frequency drift resulting in the IF of the receiver moving off
the linear part of the discriminator. Although I still favour the idea
that the listener fell asleep. I myself have reached a semi comatose
state reading your posts, many times..

A general question [email protected] General 21 September 4th 08 08:05 PM
A general question [email protected] General 0 September 4th 08 12:32 AM
Uniden `Santana' VHF-Marine Question Cruising 7 June 11th 06 03:42 PM
vhf uniden um825 Al Electronics 0 May 16th 05 07:15 PM
Uniden VHF Bobsprit ASA 4 May 29th 04 05:13 PM