Default I hate to say it but there sure is a bunch of ignorance here concerning VHF antennas

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:07:25 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

It's my presumption that I can do away with the double male under the
antenna as currently installed, along with the Metz-supplied connector,
using the bulkhead connector instead of the original, screwing the coil
directly to it (the new longer connector).

So, the question of the moment was whether I'm correct in that
presumption...

There's something about your antenna that I don't understand. Does
yours look like the follwing drawing:

http://www.metzcommunication.com/ima...heetforweb.jpg

That diagram clearly shows an SO-239 female connector with plenty of
threads showing, which is how I remember it.

Is yours different in some way?

Is your coax terminated with a PL-259 male connector? That is what
the Metz is expecting.

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...ts/plconn.html

Hi, Wayne, and list

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

There's something about your antenna that I don't understand. Does
yours look like the follwing drawing:

http://www.metzcommunication.com/ima...heetforweb.jpg

That diagram clearly shows an SO-239 female connector with plenty of
threads showing, which is how I remember it.

Is yours different in some way?

http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gall...onics&start=88
and the next page have pix of the current Metz antenna. Apparently, they've
changed their antennae, as the MMSI, AM/FM and this Metz I have all have the
type of connector shown, which is a discontinous thread. The pix of my
holding the still-mounted-to-original-bracket antenna show that it's not
long enough to mount with a nut, thus the extended connector I used...

Is your coax terminated with a PL-259 male connector? That is what
the Metz is expecting.

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...ts/plconn.html

Yes...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:02:01 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

That diagram clearly shows an SO-239 female connector with plenty of
threads showing, which is how I remember it.

Is yours different in some way?

http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gall...onics&start=88
and the next page have pix of the current Metz antenna. Apparently, they've
changed their antennae, as the MMSI, AM/FM and this Metz I have all have the
type of connector shown, which is a discontinous thread. The pix of my
holding the still-mounted-to-original-bracket antenna show that it's not
long enough to mount with a nut, thus the extended connector I used...

OK, I see what you mean. Apparently your angle bracket is too thick
for the threads provided by Metz. There is a cheap and dirty
solution to that kind of mounting problem involving Ty-Wraps and JB
Weld that might just do the job if you're so inclined. I won't tell
anyone as long as you don't look too closely at how my latest WiFi
antenna is mounted at the top of our trawler mast. :-)

Ignorance Sucks! [email protected] ASA 0 July 21st 06 04:07 PM
Robbie's Ignorance! Bob Crantz ASA 17 November 9th 05 10:19 AM
Krause's ignorance Tuuk General 3 April 27th 05 09:07 PM
( OT ) Willful Ignorance Jim General 22 March 23rd 04 07:26 PM
Bill's Ignorance... CANDChelp ASA 10 July 20th 03 11:33 PM