Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default I hate to say it but there sure is a bunch of ignorance here concerning VHF antennas

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:58:21 -0500, wrote:

The RG142 might be nice, but I honestly
doubt you will get anything out of it that you won't get from the
"better" cable at West. It may give slightly better measurements in a
lab, but out on a pitching boat, with a less than 100 foot run of
cable, there will be NO discernable difference in performance. None,
nada, zip.

I just did a google and found this place that has it. There is also a
PDF there that, just for laughs, compares RG-213 side by side with 8x.
http://www.jefatech.com/product/RG21..._The_Foot.html

RG213 is good cable, reasonably priced, and perfectly adequate for
most applications. That said, an 80 ft run to the top of a sailboat
mast is not "most" applications and every db counts. Durability
counts for a lot also and I don't think you can beat double shielding
and silver plated conductors in that department, and let's not forget
the teflon insulation which is *much* more durable than polyethylene,
and *much* less susceptible to being damaged by soldering.

If it was my mast, and was about to go to the trouble of snaking in a
new coax, I'd go with the best available if the price difference was
not astronomical.