Default I hate to say it but there sure is a bunch of ignorance here concerning VHF antennas

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:02:01 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

That diagram clearly shows an SO-239 female connector with plenty of
threads showing, which is how I remember it.

Is yours different in some way?

http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gall...onics&start=88
and the next page have pix of the current Metz antenna. Apparently, they've
changed their antennae, as the MMSI, AM/FM and this Metz I have all have the
type of connector shown, which is a discontinous thread. The pix of my
holding the still-mounted-to-original-bracket antenna show that it's not
long enough to mount with a nut, thus the extended connector I used...

OK, I see what you mean. Apparently your angle bracket is too thick
for the threads provided by Metz. There is a cheap and dirty
solution to that kind of mounting problem involving Ty-Wraps and JB
Weld that might just do the job if you're so inclined. I won't tell
anyone as long as you don't look too closely at how my latest WiFi
antenna is mounted at the top of our trawler mast. :-)

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:50:47 -0900, Bruce in alaska
wrote:

OR if Money is NO OBJECT RG-214, which is
what the Navy and Feds use....

A quick Google reveals the stuff on sale at $3.90/ft. Depends on how
much value you place on having your Mayday heard. If you are really
into saving money go with cheap flares and lifejackets.

Casady

wrote:

OR if Money is NO OBJECT RG-214, which is
what the Navy and Feds use....

A quick Google reveals the stuff on sale at $3.90/ft. Depends on how
much value you place on having your Mayday heard. If you are really
into saving money go with cheap flares and lifejackets.

Casady

Yep. I think the issue of cable value and what to get is over.
Now it mostly depends on how much you value your life.
And your passengers' lives.
Easy decision. Maybe.

--Vic

wrote:

OR if Money is NO OBJECT RG-214, which is
what the Navy and Feds use....

A quick Google reveals the stuff on sale at $3.90/ft. Depends on how
much value you place on having your Mayday heard. If you are really
into saving money go with cheap flares and lifejackets.

Casady

Yep. I think the issue of cable value and what to get is over.
Now it mostly depends on how much you value your life.
And your passengers' lives.
Easy decision. Maybe.

--Vic

Baloney. If you are THAT worried, you shouldn't be on a boat. The
percentage of times where 214 will save you and 213 won't is
essentially ZERO.

If you want to overspend on something meaningful for safety, look
elsewhere. Maybe use the money to buy an extra handheld or an Epirb
with better batteries.

wrote:

OR if Money is NO OBJECT RG-214, which is
what the Navy and Feds use....

A quick Google reveals the stuff on sale at $3.90/ft. Depends on how
much value you place on having your Mayday heard. If you are really
into saving money go with cheap flares and lifejackets.

Casady

Yep. I think the issue of cable value and what to get is over.
Now it mostly depends on how much you value your life.
And your passengers' lives.
Easy decision. Maybe.

--Vic

Baloney. If you are THAT worried, you shouldn't be on a boat. The
percentage of times where 214 will save you and 213 won't is
essentially ZERO.

If you want to overspend on something meaningful for safety, look
elsewhere. Maybe use the money to buy an extra handheld or an Epirb
with better batteries.

I just put in the "saving lives" to prod Skip. It can be valid though
for the ultra-cautious.
Plenty of other reasons to go with the best cable in the mast.
Wayne's mentioned some.
Did a bit of reading on it, and saw some comments that since the 214
is mil spec, the quality isn't spotty. It is with 213.

This is interesting, though I won't swear by it. Might be relevant to
mast movement though.
http://www.mail-archive.com/repeater.../msg28257.html
"The silver plating is what makes RG-214 advantageous over RG-213 in a
duplex environment moreso than just the difference in braid coverage
with respect to shielding effectiveness. Movement of the braid strands
each other doesn't make nearly as much noise with the silver plated
strands of RG-214 as compared to bare copper RG-213. And as the cable
ages and the braid strands tarnish (oxidize), the difference becomes
progressively greater as silver oxide is a very good conductor unlike
cupric oxide (or is it cuprous, I forget, cupric oxide is black-ish
and cuprous is red-ish IIRC."

This is all voodoo to me, so I tend to listen to those with
experience. Couldn't find anybody who would go with 213 over 214
except for price.
Now, regarding price.
http://therfc.com/coax.htm
RG-213/U
$ .68/ft
$63.00/100'

RG-214/U MIL
$2.25/ft
$194.00/100'

$131 difference for 100'

Up to the individual.
Personally, I'd go the $131 just for the voodoo protection.
Maybe I'm superstitious.
Skip will do what Skip does.
BTW, one radio guy gets his 214 from a mil surplus seller near his
home for $.90 a foot. Not on the net though, and price hunting isn't
always cost-effective.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

To be honest, I'd probably go for the 214 as well - "just because". I
still don't think it would make a bit of difference as far as my level
of safety, now or 20 years from now. The cable will be well protected
INSIDE the mast and INSIDE the cabin. Very little, if any, will be
exposed to the elements. Careful attention to installation and
waterproof connections is what matters more than the differences
between "really good" and "slightly better than really good".

wrote:

OR if Money is NO OBJECT RG-214, which is
what the Navy and Feds use....
A quick Google reveals the stuff on sale at $3.90/ft. Depends on how
much value you place on having your Mayday heard. If you are really
into saving money go with cheap flares and lifejackets.

Casady

Yep. I think the issue of cable value and what to get is over.
Now it mostly depends on how much you value your life.
And your passengers' lives.
Easy decision. Maybe.

--Vic

/snip/ The percentage of times where 214 will save you and 213
won't is essentially ZERO.

If you want to overspend on something meaningful for safety, look
elsewhere. Maybe use the money to buy an extra handheld or an Epirb
with better batteries.

There is yet another way of valuing coax. If you get into a situation
next year where a low-loss coax would JUST reach help, otherwise you
perish, then you SHOULDN'T choose 214 or one of the more expensive ones
still.
There are lower loss, cheaper coax choices out there.

Instead, 214 and the like are insurance against the day that may come in
12 years time, when the signal lines have taken a couple of knock-downs,
and weeks of sea fog end in a call for help. THAT'S the moment when the
cost earns its price.

This year, you would get more range from a much cheaper coax, before
time and weather take their toll....

Brian Whatcott

On Nov 27, 2:18*pm, Vic Smith wrote:

[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Great info, thanks. Looks like a good place to buy....

Pulling up the attenuations next to each all came up with the same
page. Perhaps I'm not understanding it correctly, but I can't seem to
see the relevant categories, and the header is confusing, as it
relates to per 100' but then seems to give different distances.

If I ignore the header, I see 400 at 1.2, 8x at 2.5, 58 at 4.6, etc.
Is it not there, or am I missing the 213/4?

Thanks...

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:03:01 -0800 (PST), Skip Gundlach
wrote:

If I ignore the header, I see 400 at 1.2, 8x at 2.5, 58 at 4.6, etc.
Is it not there, or am I missing the 213/4?

Too confusing for me to look at. But I've seen in multiple places
that the 213 and 214 are identical on the electronics signal stuff.
The difference is double shielding versus single, copper versus
silver, implied longevity/signal degradation, and "guaranteed" quality
- all in 214's favor. Price is in 213's favor.

--Vic

Ignorance Sucks! [email protected] ASA 0 July 21st 06 04:07 PM
Robbie's Ignorance! Bob Crantz ASA 17 November 9th 05 10:19 AM
Krause's ignorance Tuuk General 3 April 27th 05 09:07 PM
( OT ) Willful Ignorance Jim General 22 March 23rd 04 07:26 PM
Bill's Ignorance... CANDChelp ASA 10 July 20th 03 11:33 PM