Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default I hate to say it but there sure is a bunch of ignorance hereconcerning VHF antennas

wrote:

OR if Money is NO OBJECT RG-214, which is
what the Navy and Feds use....
A quick Google reveals the stuff on sale at $3.90/ft. Depends on how
much value you place on having your Mayday heard. If you are really
into saving money go with cheap flares and lifejackets.

Casady

Yep. I think the issue of cable value and what to get is over.
Now it mostly depends on how much you value your life.
And your passengers' lives.
Easy decision. Maybe.

--Vic

/snip/ The percentage of times where 214 will save you and 213
won't is essentially ZERO.

If you want to overspend on something meaningful for safety, look
elsewhere. Maybe use the money to buy an extra handheld or an Epirb
with better batteries.

There is yet another way of valuing coax. If you get into a situation
next year where a low-loss coax would JUST reach help, otherwise you
perish, then you SHOULDN'T choose 214 or one of the more expensive ones
still.
There are lower loss, cheaper coax choices out there.

Instead, 214 and the like are insurance against the day that may come in
12 years time, when the signal lines have taken a couple of knock-downs,
and weeks of sea fog end in a call for help. THAT'S the moment when the
cost earns its price.

This year, you would get more range from a much cheaper coax, before
time and weather take their toll....

Brian Whatcott