Default VHF antenna anomaly

Well, I'm triangulating in on the problem. I made up a short jumper of 400
cable, and connected it to my kludge of a powered up setup for the nav radio
dangling at the helm (instead of the arch antenna feed, with which we've
already proven the radio good) and the antenna I took off the top of the
mast.

Loud and clear, just sitting in the cockpit holding the antenna outside the
bimini - tip of the whip not higher than the boom - from a slightly distant
point and a local as well, 5x5, even on low power.

So, given the lousy positioning of the antenna (no height, no grounding), I
conclude that the antenna is ok, of which I'm very gladdened, as dealing
with one on the plane when I come back would be a nuisance.

That leaves the cable, which I'm going to replace, rather than try to
troubleshoot the several pieces of it (mast and at least two jumpers,
perhaps as many as 4, I forget). Various discussions in various places have
alternated between "it's so short, and the power is so small, that anything
will do" to "nothing other than MilSpec, and, a bonus, it's lighter and
thinner" and places in between.

I'm all for lighter and thinner, and the best tx I can get, if the two are
compatible, and forever-grade corrosion/sal****er/whatever protection I can
get.

So, what part number cable should I be looking for for best longevity,
easiest handling and best throughput (is there a single item to do that?)?
I know I may have to pay a couple (maybe more) bux a foot for it, but it's
small potatoes in the boatbux equation, and I really don't want to do this
again...

Thanks, all.

L8R

Skip, glad I'm not having to deal with an antenna on the plane

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:30:46 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

So, what part number cable should I be looking for for best longevity,
easiest handling and best throughput (is there a single item to do that?)?
I know I may have to pay a couple (maybe more) bux a foot for it, but it's
small potatoes in the boatbux equation, and I really don't want to do this
again...

What I used with great success on my old Cal-34 was RG-142/U. Looking
around on Google I just found a place that has it for $1.94/ft
(non-MIL spec):

http://www.wifi-parts.com/rg142u.html

That is a good price in my opinion since some places are charging as
much as $5/ft.

Here's another source for the MIL spec version
at $2.25/ft (over 50 ft):

http://www.rfparts.com/coax.html#teflon

Looks like they have the non-MIL spec version at $1.80, don't know
what the difference is but my experience is with the MIL spec.

It is easy to handle although no coax likes really sharp bends.

Solid dielectric, double shield, preferably not pvc sheath which gives
off acid decay products. Choose the correct characteristic impedance.
Coax is offered in 50 to 70 ohm impedance. Above all: minimize I said
MINIMIZE the number of BNC coax connections. They are lossy. You could
consider low loss type connectors but it adds to the general confusion
and cost I know. I hope you don't mean what I THINK you mean when you
talk about jumpers. NO WIRE JUMPERS!

Brian W

Flying Pig wrote:
[...]

Wayne.B wrote:

/snip/
http://www.rfparts.com/coax.html#teflon

Looks like they have the non-MIL spec version at $1.80, don't know
what the difference is but my experience is with the MIL spec.

It is easy to handle although no coax likes really sharp bends.

At a sharp left hand corner, a right hand loop beats a tight left bend,
any day of the week.

Brian W

I followed the URL after "See our galleries..."
I looked for SSI refit, and didn't find it.
I looked for upgrades/electronics and failed.

So I admired the generally nice quality of the pix, and gave up.

I can only suppose you were extending the center coax conductor at some
connector with a wire, in order to stretch through a bulkhead.
This is not good practice.

Brian W

Default Pix Question (WAS) VHF antenna anomaly

"brian whatcott" wrote in message
I followed the URL after "See our galleries..."
I looked for SSI refit, and didn't find it.
I looked for upgrades/electronics and failed.

So I admired the generally nice quality of the pix, and gave up.

I can only suppose you were extending the center coax conductor at some
connector with a wire, in order to stretch through a bulkhead.
This is not good practice.

Brian W

Negative. Bulkhead mount, nuts on both sides of a longish connector.

Try this...

http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gall...es/Electronics

Sorry about the confusion - I'd spoken so volubly here about all that
happened in Saint Simons Island that I should have also specified 2009 refit
vs early refit...

L8R

Skip