Default VHF antenna anomaly

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:28:12 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:25:55 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

At least
it means I won't have to haul it off/repair the radio, though I'm not
thrilled at the thought that I might have a cable problem

After suffering through a few cable problems with my old sailboats I
finally ended up buying some expensive military grade low loss co-ax.
It was about a buck a foot back in the '80s but it was great stuff
with teflon insulation and silver plated conductors. That was the
end of my cable problems and we had the best VHF reception I'd ever
seen.

Got a source/grade suggestion for something like that?

Sounds good to me...

I've seen it at West Marine. The key phrase is "Low Loss" cable.

Here's one source online with several choices -

http://www.radioworks.com/ccoax.html

Ham radio nut specializing in antennas. You might want to call him for
specific recommendations.

Telephone Orders
800-280-8327
Orders and information
757-484-0140
FAX
757-483-1873
Email
Jim will get back to you as quickly as possible, but sometimes it
takes a few days.

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:28:12 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

At least
it means I won't have to haul it off/repair the radio, though I'm not
thrilled at the thought that I might have a cable problem

After suffering through a few cable problems with my old sailboats I
finally ended up buying some expensive military grade low loss co-ax.
It was about a buck a foot back in the '80s but it was great stuff
with teflon insulation and silver plated conductors. That was the
end of my cable problems and we had the best VHF reception I'd ever
seen.

Got a source/grade suggestion for something like that?

Sounds good to me...

I believe it was Belden RG142/U. Unfortunately it is now about
$2.25/ft from RF Parts:

http://www.rfparts.com/coax.html#teflon

The good news is that they sell it by the foot. I had to buy a 100 ft
spool when I got mine.

Maybe you can find some on EBAY.

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:55:01 -0500, wrote:

Here's one source online with several choices -

http://www.radioworks.com/ccoax.html

You have to be careful with those cables in a marine application.
They will soak up salt air like a sponge if given any opportunity at
all and will end up worthless. The RG142/U has a solid teflon
insulator which is quite moisture resistant and the double silver
plated shield keeps the signal inside the cable where it belongs. It
is MIL Spec rated for a reason.

Default Abacos (was) VHF antenna anomaly

Flying Pig wrote:

Lotsa secluded beaches, and, right now would be a good time to go, but a bit
cool for reefs. We have wetsuits, though, so if Lydia gets tired of sitting
in the container which masquerades as the book shop with nobody coming (a
little early in the season still), perhaps we'll pull up the hook and go.

Skip, suggesting to get back on track with my next post

I have often wondered how often you move - and how long you stay in
any one place.

Probably one of those things where ya gotta be there to understand it.

Flying Pig wrote:
wrote in message
Water in a connector?

Ya, maybe, or some other connection problem. I'm going to start with the
antenna, as I have a spare. If that's not the problem, likely I'll put an
entirely new cable up there, as what's in it has at least 2, perhaps as many
as 4 intersections...

L8R

Skip

Tight bends in the coax?

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:55:57 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:55:01 -0500, wrote:

Here's one source online with several choices -

http://www.radioworks.com/ccoax.html

You have to be careful with those cables in a marine application.
They will soak up salt air like a sponge if given any opportunity at
all and will end up worthless. The RG142/U has a solid teflon
insulator which is quite moisture resistant and the double silver
plated shield keeps the signal inside the cable where it belongs. It
is MIL Spec rated for a reason.

As I also mentioned, it would be a good idea to call the guy, because
he specializes in this field. You might even say he's a bit obsessed
with it! I think he'll know what to use.

wrote:

Here's one source online with several choices -

http://www.radioworks.com/ccoax.html

You have to be careful with those cables in a marine application.
They will soak up salt air like a sponge if given any opportunity at
all and will end up worthless. The RG142/U has a solid teflon
insulator which is quite moisture resistant and the double silver
plated shield keeps the signal inside the cable where it belongs. It
is MIL Spec rated for a reason.

As I also mentioned, it would be a good idea to call the guy, because
he specializes in this field. You might even say he's a bit obsessed
with it! I think he'll know what to use.

I became a bit obsessed with it myself at one time, and also a "ham"
radio operator with an engineering background. All of the garden
variety low loss coax cables either have a foam core dielectric or a
spiral dielectric wrapped around the center conductor. Either way
you get a very efficient conduit for moisture, and if the moisture
contains salt, the "low loss" properties disappear in a heartbeat.

As a bonus with the teflon MIL spec cable you get silver plated
conductors and a double shield, both very desirable for low loss and
long term reliability. As an additional bonus it is relatively thin
and lightweight compared to other ultra low loss cables like LMR400.

Default Moving around (WAS) Abacos

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

I have often wondered how often you move - and how long you stay in
any one place.

Probably one of those things where ya gotta be there to understand it.

Hi, Richard, and list,

We move as often as we're moved (pardon the expression) to do so. Being
full-timers, unlike those on their boats for a month, like our new friends
on Conchessa, or a season, like many in Georgetown we met last winter, we
have no particular urgency. By contrast, Conchessa was on the move, back to
a base (Hopetown or Marsh Harbour) very frequently. They fly home today
after their month here, and do that routine three times a year, basing (cuz
they have a permanent mooring) in Hopetown.

In Lydia's case, in particular, she's always wanted to immerse herself in
the local culture, and, here in Marsh Harbour, she's found a touchstone in
(see arkwild.org for more info) the local VERY endangered horses, so is
volunteering on a daily basis for the next while. In the meantime, I do the
usual "cruising is..." puttering, and try to catch up on some of my
subscriptions I let slide entirely for the entire time of our refit this
summer.

So, in this case, since we're committed to a flight on Dec. 17, not to
return until Jan. 17, and when we do, will have some fairly fiddly
electronics installation to attend to, we'll be here, likely, until the end
of January or so.

Generally speaking, though, we move around at a couple-of-days pace if we're
only going to see something in particular, as seen in our last couple of
logs, and, if there's someplace appropriate, we might use that as a "base" -
such as here, and, later this winter, Georgetown.

It's all what winds your anchor chain, I presume, as each cruiser's style is
going to be somewhat different than the next...

HTH

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Tight bends in the coax?

Very possibly. The original installation was very tight bends, both coming
out of the mast and into the antenna. OTOH, the antenna to the helm is also
very tightly bent (I didn't like it after the installation by my electrical
guy during our original installation, as well as the splash shield being
mounted UP - but it was done, and there's not enough length to make it
right), and it works fine.

All that said, I've concluded that, regardless of my shortly-to-be-tried
checking with a different antenna up top, I'm going to spring for a new
antenna and cable. This thread and others in different venues have me homing
in on the best cable I can buy (no sense in doing it wrong, for the sake of
a few bux, in what should be the last time it's fiddled with!), which, with
a new whip (don't know that we'll ever have to deal with a bridge again in
our ownership, but I'd rather not have to replace a lovely stick if we do,
not to mention that I expect most sticks would be a different mount than the
259 UHF connector I went to the trouble to install on my bracket), should
put the matter to rest.

When I DO replace it, I'll make sure of the proper length/radius of turns so
that it's not an issue for the future. I rather like another's comment
about some expensive stuff which is both thinner and lighter, but notably
better for the application. Once I have a proper reference number, I'll
hunt it down and lay it in when I'm back ashore.

In the meantime, I'll also do the check suggested by someone else in the
thread about checking out the antenna which was up there, it being out,
now...

Stay tuned (pardon the expression) :{))

L8R

Skip