[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default VHF antenna anomaly

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:26:54 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:00:14 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:55:57 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:55:01 -0500,
wrote:

Here's one source online with several choices -

http://www.radioworks.com/ccoax.html

You have to be careful with those cables in a marine application.
They will soak up salt air like a sponge if given any opportunity at
all and will end up worthless. The RG142/U has a solid teflon
insulator which is quite moisture resistant and the double silver
plated shield keeps the signal inside the cable where it belongs. It
is MIL Spec rated for a reason.

As I also mentioned, it would be a good idea to call the guy, because
he specializes in this field. You might even say he's a bit obsessed
with it! I think he'll know what to use.

I became a bit obsessed with it myself at one time, and also a "ham"
radio operator with an engineering background. All of the garden
variety low loss coax cables either have a foam core dielectric or a
spiral dielectric wrapped around the center conductor. Either way
you get a very efficient conduit for moisture, and if the moisture
contains salt, the "low loss" properties disappear in a heartbeat.

As a bonus with the teflon MIL spec cable you get silver plated
conductors and a double shield, both very desirable for low loss and
long term reliability. As an additional bonus it is relatively thin
and lightweight compared to other ultra low loss cables like LMR400.

Okay, I'm sold!