Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default VHF antenna anomaly

Solid dielectric, double shield, preferably not pvc sheath which gives
off acid decay products. Choose the correct characteristic impedance.
Coax is offered in 50 to 70 ohm impedance. Above all: minimize I said
MINIMIZE the number of BNC coax connections. They are lossy. You could
consider low loss type connectors but it adds to the general confusion
and cost I know. I hope you don't mean what I THINK you mean when you
talk about jumpers. NO WIRE JUMPERS!

Brian W

Flying Pig wrote:
That leaves the cable, which I'm going to replace, rather than try to
troubleshoot the several pieces of it (mast and at least two jumpers,
perhaps as many as 4, I forget). Various discussions in various places have
alternated between "it's so short, and the power is so small, that anything
will do" to "nothing other than MilSpec, and, a bonus, it's lighter and
thinner" and places in between.

I'm all for lighter and thinner, and the best tx I can get, if the two are
compatible, and forever-grade corrosion/sal****er/whatever protection I can
get.

So, what part number cable should I be looking for for best longevity,
easiest handling and best throughput (is there a single item to do that?)?
I know I may have to pay a couple (maybe more) bux a foot for it, but it's
small potatoes in the boatbux equation, and I really don't want to do this
again...

Thanks, all.

L8R

Skip, glad I'm not having to deal with an antenna on the plane

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)