Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default VHF antenna anomaly

Well, I'm triangulating in on the problem. I made up a short jumper of 400
cable, and connected it to my kludge of a powered up setup for the nav radio
dangling at the helm (instead of the arch antenna feed, with which we've
already proven the radio good) and the antenna I took off the top of the
mast.

Loud and clear, just sitting in the cockpit holding the antenna outside the
bimini - tip of the whip not higher than the boom - from a slightly distant
point and a local as well, 5x5, even on low power.

So, given the lousy positioning of the antenna (no height, no grounding), I
conclude that the antenna is ok, of which I'm very gladdened, as dealing
with one on the plane when I come back would be a nuisance.

That leaves the cable, which I'm going to replace, rather than try to
troubleshoot the several pieces of it (mast and at least two jumpers,
perhaps as many as 4, I forget). Various discussions in various places have
alternated between "it's so short, and the power is so small, that anything
will do" to "nothing other than MilSpec, and, a bonus, it's lighter and
thinner" and places in between.

I'm all for lighter and thinner, and the best tx I can get, if the two are
compatible, and forever-grade corrosion/sal****er/whatever protection I can
get.

So, what part number cable should I be looking for for best longevity,
easiest handling and best throughput (is there a single item to do that?)?
I know I may have to pay a couple (maybe more) bux a foot for it, but it's
small potatoes in the boatbux equation, and I really don't want to do this
again...

Thanks, all.

L8R

Skip, glad I'm not having to deal with an antenna on the plane

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)