Default Newfoundland Charts and Guides

I am looking for Newfoundland charts, both paper and disk. Used charts in
good shape are also of interest. Disk-wise it appears that the only game in
town are the NDI compilations. I already have the "Nova Scotia South"
collection, and it appears that the "Newfoundland East" and the "Gulf of
Saint Lawrence South" will cover our needs. What I am wondering is whether
there are any paper chart collections for the south coast of Newfoundland
that might be a bit more affordable than the individual Canadian
Hydrographic charts. Any thoughts appreciated.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Armond Perretta wrote:
I am looking for Newfoundland charts, both paper and disk. Used charts in
good shape are also of interest. Disk-wise it appears that the only game in
town are the NDI compilations. I already have the "Nova Scotia South"
collection, and it appears that the "Newfoundland East" and the "Gulf of
Saint Lawrence South" will cover our needs. What I am wondering is whether
there are any paper chart collections for the south coast of Newfoundland
that might be a bit more affordable than the individual Canadian
Hydrographic charts. Any thoughts appreciated.

You may want to check out this site and/or contact them. They are the
only cruisers I know that decided to winter over in Newfoundland.
http://www.sv-moonshadow.com/liveaboard/mnshdw.htm

Jeff wrote:
Armond Perretta wrote:

I am looking for Newfoundland charts ... I am wondering is whether there
are any paper chart collections for the south coast of Newfoundland that
might be a bit more affordable than the individual Canadian Hydrographic
charts ...

You may want to check out this site and/or contact them. They are the
only cruisers I know that decided to winter over in Newfoundland.
http://www.sv-moonshadow.com/liveaboard/mnshdw.htm

Thanks, Jeff. Excellent info (as usual). Were you able to spend a good
part of the summer on the Vineyard as you has mentioned earlier?

Armond Perretta wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Armond Perretta wrote:
I am looking for Newfoundland charts ... I am wondering is whether there
are any paper chart collections for the south coast of Newfoundland that
might be a bit more affordable than the individual Canadian Hydrographic
charts ...

You may want to check out this site and/or contact them. They are the
only cruisers I know that decided to winter over in Newfoundland.
http://www.sv-moonshadow.com/liveaboard/mnshdw.htm

Thanks, Jeff. Excellent info (as usual).

No problem. They should be more than happy to share their wisdom.

Were you able to spend a good
part of the summer on the Vineyard as you has mentioned earlier?

Yes, we spent the bulk of the summer on a mooring just off of the Owen
Park town pier, plus side trips to Newport and Wellfleet. How about
you? If you made it there you must have noticed us - we stood out as
usually the only cruising cat amongst a lot off classic wooden boats.
One of these days we're going to swallow the anchor and buy a cottage
there, and downsize the boat to something I'll actually sail everyday,
like a Marshall cat.

Armond Perretta wrote:
I am looking for Newfoundland charts, both paper and disk. Used charts in
good shape are also of interest. Disk-wise it appears that the only game in
town are the NDI compilations. I already have the "Nova Scotia South"
collection, and it appears that the "Newfoundland East" and the "Gulf of
Saint Lawrence South" will cover our needs. What I am wondering is whether
there are any paper chart collections for the south coast of Newfoundland
that might be a bit more affordable than the individual Canadian
Hydrographic charts. Any thoughts appreciated.

If there are I have not found them and I posted here a couple of years
ago. Some of the older charts are now discontinued but are of a larger
scale than the newer ones. I have a pretty complete set but spent a
fortune on them.

I also have some charts that were somehow copies or scanned into an
image file and georeferenced. They may be of help to you. I could
perhaps make a CD.

However, I am VERY reluctant to pass out an e-mail on this site. Not
sure how to get together to share info. I have a few pics he
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/hpeer/

http://www.puffin-press.com/ provide a Cruising Guide that is pretty good.

You have probably heard it before but....be careful on the South coast.
The charts do not line up well with GPS.

Radar is a MUST.

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:33:48 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

I am looking for Newfoundland charts, both paper and disk. Used charts in
good shape are also of interest. Disk-wise it appears that the only game in
town are the NDI compilations. I already have the "Nova Scotia South"
collection, and it appears that the "Newfoundland East" and the "Gulf of
Saint Lawrence South" will cover our needs. What I am wondering is whether
there are any paper chart collections for the south coast of Newfoundland
that might be a bit more affordable than the individual Canadian
Hydrographic charts. Any thoughts appreciated.

It may turn out that your most economical solution is an electronic
C-MAP chip. You can get the M-NA-M037.07 from Jeppesen for about
$240 and it includes virtually all Canadian salt water coastal areas,
containing the data from literally hundreds of paper charts.

http://www.c-map.com/chartcatalogue/A7A2BC31

That chip is in the so called "MAX" format and requires a compatible
chart plotter of course. It can be viewed on a PC however using
relatively inexpensive PC-Planner software and a card reader, also by
Jeppesen.

http://tinyurl.com/ycvybfp

SEA CHART BSB ? SE NEWFOUNDLAND AIS USERGROUP Cruising 0 November 24th 07 05:37 PM
Charts/nav guides Midlant General 4 May 27th 07 02:15 AM
Where to sell charts/guides??? [email protected] Cruising 2 June 16th 06 07:34 PM
Nav study guides Capt. Neal® ASA 15 December 7th 04 02:10 AM
Newfoundland humor Jeff Morris ASA 2 September 29th 04 12:20 PM