Capt. Neal®

Default Nav study guides

One of the best sources on the Internet is Captain Neal's
Novice Lessons.

http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

Scroll to the bottom and click on the Novice Lessons link

CN

"Jcasey22" wrote in message ...
Hey folks, I've been lurking around this group awhile and must say, I get some
great laughs, you guys are crazy(too much time at sea, or too little?) Anyway,
I'm headed back to the UK to attend the UKSA for 17 weeks to gain a yachtmaster
certification, hopefully. I want to have a better understanding of the basics
before I get there, as the Solent is a hell of a place to learn on the run. I
am in need of a good source of info and study guides for navigation, tidal
calculations and other such things. I have a little training in both, so I am
at the point at where I can understand the language and use the tools involed.
I am shelling out a lot of dough for the school as it is, so if I can find
these things on the cheap, it would be great.

Joseph

Martin Baxter

Capt. Neal® wrote:

One of the best sources on the Internet is Captain Neal's
Novice Lessons.

http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

Scroll to the bottom and click on the Novice Lessons link

Neal you never cease to provide us with amusement, your sense of satire is
unparalleled!

Cheers
Marty

Jonathan Ganz

"Jcasey22" wrote in message ...
Hey folks, I've been lurking around this group awhile and must say, I get some
great laughs, you guys are crazy(too much time at sea, or too little?) Anyway,
I'm headed back to the UK to attend the UKSA for 17 weeks to gain a yachtmaster
certification, hopefully. I want to have a better understanding of the basics
before I get there, as the Solent is a hell of a place to learn on the run. I
am in need of a good source of info and study guides for navigation, tidal
calculations and other such things. I have a little training in both, so I am
at the point at where I can understand the language and use the tools involed.
I am shelling out a lot of dough for the school as it is, so if I can find
these things on the cheap, it would be great.

Joseph

Joseph, Nelly's link is great for a few laughs!

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Jcasey22

Captain Neal Sir, I am reading your wonderful site right now and I had to take
a break to tell you how great it is. I first thought it full of jackassery and
I would continue to find self-righteous BS throughout. I read over the
beginning of the Nav section and it proved straightforward and true. I was only
able to get as far as your thoughts of windshield wipers on a sailboat before
braking out in laughter. Great site so far and good work at not only providing
Valuble information but dousing it with opinionated wit. What would we have in
the sailing world if not for purists.....oh yeah, those horrid MacGreggor 26's,
vomit.

Jcasey22

I do need to find some formal "lectures in a book," unless, that is, you can
personally provide me with 30 or so route planning exercises and all of the
appropiate charts to go along with them. I don't know if I am explaining this
properly, but let me know if you have an idea.
Scott Vernon

The Solent, eh? Watch out for all the cigarette butts in the water, I
hear they can clog your water intakes.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Jcasey22" wrote in message
[...]

Donal

"Jcasey22" wrote in message
[...]

I notice that you have had a load of useless answers about cigarette butts
and fog.

Only I and the good Capt. Neal are capable of offering helpful advice.

The book that you are looking for is called "An Introduction to Coastal
Navigation - a seaman's guide".
ISBN 0 984254 02 5

Published by:
Morgans Technical Books Ltd

It is available from most chandlers.

Regards

Donal

N1EE

Welcome Joeseph,

I've used the ASA, US Sailing, and US Power Squadron course books, and
taught sailing using the US Sailing study guides. I like the US Power
Squadron (USPS) Piloting and Advance Piloting the best, but you have
to join to get them and wait for shipment. THE USPS courses cover
topics you won't find elsewhere, like using a sextant horizontally for
circles of position. They might be better for later study after you
have the basics down.

The US Sailing books are easy to find. See the US Sailing web site or
Amazon.com, They have lots of good material in an easy to use format.
Youmight want to start with the Basic Keelboat book and read them
all.

Here is a link to their coastal navigation book. It has some good
chart work problems in it.

http://www.ussailing.org/commercial/...ioncoastal.htm

Give us some feedback on the yachtmaster program, they were the basis
for the ASA and US Sailing programs in the USA. What does it cost?
How long? And quality of the instructors.

One final recommendation. To get your money's worth, chose the best
instructors they have.

Bart Senior

(Jcasey22) wrote