Capt. Neal®

Default Nav study guides

One of the best sources on the Internet is Captain Neal's
Novice Lessons.

http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

Scroll to the bottom and click on the Novice Lessons link

CN

"Jcasey22" wrote in message ...
Hey folks, I've been lurking around this group awhile and must say, I get some
great laughs, you guys are crazy(too much time at sea, or too little?) Anyway,
I'm headed back to the UK to attend the UKSA for 17 weeks to gain a yachtmaster
certification, hopefully. I want to have a better understanding of the basics
before I get there, as the Solent is a hell of a place to learn on the run. I
am in need of a good source of info and study guides for navigation, tidal
calculations and other such things. I have a little training in both, so I am
at the point at where I can understand the language and use the tools involed.
I am shelling out a lot of dough for the school as it is, so if I can find
these things on the cheap, it would be great.

Joseph

Jonathan Ganz

"Jcasey22" wrote in message ...
Hey folks, I've been lurking around this group awhile and must say, I get some
great laughs, you guys are crazy(too much time at sea, or too little?) Anyway,
I'm headed back to the UK to attend the UKSA for 17 weeks to gain a yachtmaster
certification, hopefully. I want to have a better understanding of the basics
before I get there, as the Solent is a hell of a place to learn on the run. I
am in need of a good source of info and study guides for navigation, tidal
calculations and other such things. I have a little training in both, so I am
at the point at where I can understand the language and use the tools involed.
I am shelling out a lot of dough for the school as it is, so if I can find
these things on the cheap, it would be great.

Joseph

Joseph, Nelly's link is great for a few laughs!

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Martin Baxter

Capt. Neal® wrote:

One of the best sources on the Internet is Captain Neal's
Novice Lessons.

http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

Scroll to the bottom and click on the Novice Lessons link

Neal you never cease to provide us with amusement, your sense of satire is
unparalleled!

Cheers
Marty

Jcasey22

Captain Neal Sir, I am reading your wonderful site right now and I had to take
a break to tell you how great it is. I first thought it full of jackassery and
I would continue to find self-righteous BS throughout. I read over the
beginning of the Nav section and it proved straightforward and true. I was only
able to get as far as your thoughts of windshield wipers on a sailboat before
braking out in laughter. Great site so far and good work at not only providing
Valuble information but dousing it with opinionated wit. What would we have in
the sailing world if not for purists.....oh yeah, those horrid MacGreggor 26's,
vomit.

Jcasey22

I do need to find some formal "lectures in a book," unless, that is, you can
personally provide me with 30 or so route planning exercises and all of the
appropiate charts to go along with them. I don't know if I am explaining this
properly, but let me know if you have an idea.
Martin Baxter

Joe wrote:

Go to ebay and get a copy of Bowditch The American Pratical Navigator.

Why on earth go to Ebay, it's available online?

Cheers
Marty

Joe

Martin Baxter wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:

Go to ebay and get a copy of Bowditch The American Pratical Navigator.

Why on earth go to Ebay, it's available online?

He's a student and needs to learn to save money when possiable.
I purchace many things off ebay and have been quite happy.

You can pick up Bowditch vol 1 & 2 around 65.00 dollars on ebay.

And at most stores I think you will find them around 125 for the set.

If you take your time and shop wisely you could pick up a nice
vintage leather bound ships set.

A sailor should have a bowditch for life and pass it on to his aires.
Mine has been in my family for 3 generations. It is one of my most
treasured items.

Joe

Cheers
Marty

otnmbrd

Joe wrote:

A sailor should have a bowditch for life and pass it on to his aires.
Mine has been in my family for 3 generations. It is one of my most
treasured items.

Joe

BG Alas, it's also out of date, information wise .... as is mine and
my American Merchant Seaman's Manual and Merchant Marine Officer's
Handbook, which are also great references.
Course, too, some of the info which is no longer incorporated in the
newer versions, can still be found in the older.....which frequently
comes in handy.

otn