posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default Zac is a FAILURE just like I always said . . .

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"silverdragon" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 12:31 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
The Guinness Book of Records does not recognize Zac Sunderland's
circumnavigation because he had too much outside help.
Bwaahahahhahahaha.

I told you so.

"The previous youngest to complete a similar voyage was American Zac
Sunderland last month, but his effort is not recognized by Guinness
World
Records."

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifes...57Q2V220090827

Wilbur Hubbard
:: I really dont think his goal was to get into "the book".
::
:: He set out to single handedly circumnavigate the world by sailboat,
:: and that he did.

Wrong! His stated goal was to be the youngest person to sail alone around
the world.

He failed miserable as he did not sail alone around the world. He had
help with tows into and out of various ports.

So did Perham.

Not so. Perham sailed most of the way foregoing the motor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Perham

That article does not say Perham wasn't towed. In fact, his record is
classified as "assisted." He was assisted heavily by his father and
numerous others, including tows. He said so repeatedly in his blog.

He used the Panama Canal which is not sailing.

So did Perham.

True but he did intend, at least, to go the Cape Horn route but mechanical
problems caused him to use the Panama Canal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Perham

He had all sorts of people constantly working on his boat.

So did Perham.

Not so, he had limited help and only close to the finishing leg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Perham

At near the beginning, Perham even had the autopilot manufacturer fly in
a repairman who worked for days on it. Eventually someone replaced it
with an autopilot of different manufacture. He had numerous other
breakdowns and numerous other people working on his boat. The link you
provided doesn't say otherwise. It's all on his blog.

Stephen

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:25:23 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

It's time we sailors started to face the facts that our pride and joy is
being *******ized by publicity hound parents who live vicariously through
their brats. Even worse is those arm chair sailors who seem to approve of
and support this trash sailing.

Reminds me of the fatal crash of a Cessna . A girl who was too young
to get a pilots license, was trying to land in each of the 48 states.
She was accompanied by her instructor who was the legally required
pilot, and her father. They took a chance with dubious weather, they
had a schedule, it seems.

Casady

wrote:
[...]

OK, then BOTH Zac and Mike are failures. You've convinced me.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

It's time we sailors started to face the facts that our pride and joy is
being *******ized by publicity hound parents who live vicariously through
their brats. Even worse is those arm chair sailors who seem to approve of
and support this trash sailing.

Reminds me of the fatal crash of a Cessna . A girl who was too young
to get a pilots license, was trying to land in each of the 48 states.
She was accompanied by her instructor who was the legally required
pilot, and her father. They took a chance with dubious weather, they
had a schedule, it seems.

Casady

I recall that incident. It's an extreme case where parents are directly
responsible for the death of their child because of their narcissism. If I
recall correctly, the dead girl was 11?? At that age I doubt the girl had
any real interest in landing in all 48 states. Sad! Now I read where a
13-year-old French girl is getting ready to do a solo circumnavigation. One
of these days such a stunt will result in the death of the youngster. Shame
on irresponsible parents who have to live their lives through their
children.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

snip Wilma's trolling

Just go away and get a life Wilma.
If you spent the time on a boat you do trolling the internet you might get
some credibility with real sailors.
--
Duncan Heenan

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:
[...]

He dilly-dallied around for months at a time and had a birthday en
route while workmen refitted his boat time after time.

So did Perham. Perham did it faster though, because the boat he had
donated to him (unlike Sunderland who bought his own boat) was much faster.

Stephen

I followed him and was a fan until he called daddy from the Indian Ocean
and asked what to do when his headstay broke. Calling daddy for advise
is wrong on many levels.

Daddy told him to put the spinnaker halyard on the bow. If he had to be
told that, he wasn't on his own.

autopilot failure Gary General 1 October 12th 04 02:57 AM
Autopilot Failure Gary Electronics 0 October 7th 04 10:53 AM
Autopilot failure Gary General 3 October 7th 04 04:07 AM
Bush is a failure... jim-- General 15 September 1st 04 11:02 PM