Gary

Default autopilot failure

I posted a question here last week about my autopilot failing and for some
strange reason, it never showed up on my Road Runner server, so tonight, I
looked on google groups and saw that I indeed had 3 replies...it STILL isn't
on the RR server.

First of all, thanks Tom, Jim and Karl for the replies. I will try
everything you suggested before I turn it over to the mechanics. Secondly,
Karl had the following reply:

Check the power, as noted.

These units come apart fairly easily; I have had to open mine up and
resolder a few of the connections as vibration causes them to go "cold" and
contact becomes intermittent.

I'm curious Karl, what part of the unit are you talking about opening up?
Do you mean the "control unit" or the "junction box"? I'm fairly handy with
a soldering iron, but since my boat is a 4 hour drive from my home and I
only get to go there every 3rd weekend, I want to be as prepared as possible
when I go back. Were the cold solder joints obvious or did you need to test
them with an ohm meter? Are there lots of them? Are they on a circuit
board?

Thanks again to all of you who responded and thanks in advance if you have
any additional info to add!

Gary

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:40:02 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

[...]

Normally, solder joints on cables and circuit boards are shiny or
nearly so. A "cold" joint will not be shiny and will have a dull
leaden appearance.

Circuit boards can be touchy about a bad joint - you need to see if
the solder has lifted off the pad or the pad has lifted off the board
or even if the solder had penetrated all the way through the pad when
it was soldered.

If you don't have a lot of experience looking at circuit boards, and
it would appear than you don't, then I'd just look at the cables, any
places where cables are soldered to the circuit board, clean the
connectors, make sure they are properly soldered if at all (some might
be crimped connectors), trace the wiring back to check for breaks, you
might want to use a VOM to check continuity if you can, do as much as
you can, then call the help if you are still stuck.

Good luck.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Autopilot failure Gary General 3 October 7th 04 04:07 AM
Autopilot fails on Raytheon ST5000+ with "No Data" error Donagh Cruising 6 June 12th 04 05:01 PM
Autopilot fails on Raytheon ST5000+ with "No Data" error Donagh Electronics 5 June 11th 04 06:40 PM
Jet Boat Autopilot Larry Electronics 18 December 3rd 03 08:59 PM
Need Navico t2500 Autopilot Manual Dennis Vogel ASA 0 November 9th 03 01:25 PM