Default GPS Not Recognized

Wayne.B wrote:

This doesn't answer your question but I'd suggest giving it a try with
a relatively new (and free) nav package called OpenCPN. I've been
testing it as an eventual replacement for my Maptech OSN and have been
favorably impressed so far. It's an easy install and loads quickly.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpn/

I just set this up and it looks quite good. It reads the NOAA vector charts
without a fuss, unlike Capn Voyager. The way things are going with Capn, I
do not see that any effort is being made to update and maintain the product
since its sale in Sep 08 to Star Technologies, so this open source app is an
even better idea. Will test at the boat yard shortly and report. Thanks
for heads up.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Bil Bil is offline

On Aug 20, 5:49*pm, "Armond Perretta" wrote:

Back on your original problem - have you considered a software GPS
data splitter and port emulator, such as Franson GPSGate?

Franson GPSGate avoids the problem of one software app monopolising
the GPS data stream by splitting the stream and providing virtual data
ports including, for example, Garmin ports.

A trial can be downloaded freely from http://franson.com/gpsgate/

Cheers

Heh.

At the rate we're going, that might be the reality...

Actually, we're in the homestretch for our refit and redo. About a week,
then a week of relaxation, then a coastal cruise for the second week of
September before we can even look at weather windows...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:21:22 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Skip, still refitting, but getting close - Sept 8 we leave with grandkids
for a sea trial to see if they want to go to the Bahamas via ocean with us
the following week (or whenever the right weather window shows up)

Skip, I would *really*, *strongly* encourage you to wait for the end
of the hurricane season before going offshore. After Nov 1 is usually
a good time.

Flying Pig wrote:

Once Cap'n (or any other) is running with the GPS found, it's using
that port. You'd need another USB puck to make them work
simultaneously. I discovered this by trying to use Capn and Maxsea
together.

I have finally been able to get 3 separate charting applications to run (of
course one application at a time) and see the combined GPS/AIS data, but
there is a peculiarity that still occurs. The apps are Capn 8.3, SeaClear
II, and OpenCPN 903 Beta. The system includes the SP 162 AIS engine.

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data (the GPS is routed through the SR 162,
and a single RS-232 connects to the USB-serial converter), each of the
applications can see the data and successfully plot the ship and any AIS
targets. However if I next feed the straight GPS signal and bypass the SR
162 (usually at 4800 BAUD instead of the 38k BAUD used by the AIS device),
only Capn 8.3 can see this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 04:23:19 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data (the GPS is routed through the SR 162,
and a single RS-232 connects to the USB-serial converter), each of the
applications can see the data and successfully plot the ship and any AIS
targets. However if I next feed the straight GPS signal and bypass the SR
162 (usually at 4800 BAUD instead of the 38k BAUD used by the AIS device),
only Capn 8.3 can see this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

Wayne.B wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data ... each of the applications can see
the data ... However if I ... bypass the SR 162 ... only Capn 8.3 can see
this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. Thanks for putting
me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. I am trying to keep up
with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers Forum. These guys are
really going at it and are quite the crew.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 05:22:45 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. Thanks for putting
me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. I am trying to keep up
with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers Forum. These guys are
really going at it and are quite the crew.

Yes, they are off to a good start. I'm hoping that eventually I will
be able to use OpenCPN as a replacement for Maptech Offshore Navigator
which is quite a good package but no longer supported.

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. *Thanks for putting
me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. *I am trying to keep up
with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers Forum. *These guys are
really going at it and are quite the crew.

Lemme know when you get this straightened out so I can come up for a
day of sailing.

Carl

Wayne.B wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. Thanks for
putting me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. I am
trying to keep up with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers
Forum. These guys are really going at it and are quite the crew.

Yes, they are off to a good start. I'm hoping that eventually I will
be able to use OpenCPN as a replacement for Maptech Offshore Navigator
which is quite a good package but no longer supported.

I will add that I am of the same mind with respect to Capn 8.3. I've used
one or another version since 1993 and have worked with Dennis Mills on a few
things, but the current Capn team (Star Technologies) shows little evidence
that they are really interested in development or support.

Wayne.B wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data ... each of the applications can see
the data and successfully plot the ship and any AIS targets ... if I next
feed the straight GPS signal and bypass the SR 162 ... only Capn 8.3 can
see this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

I tried just about every combination of settings in OpenCPN but it's still
the case that the combined GPS/AIS signal works for all apps, but the
straight GPS signal is seen only by Capn 8.3. BTW, I am testing Capn 8.3,
OpenCPN, SeaClear II, and something called NavMonPC, which is a sort of data
front-end.