Default GPS Not Recognized

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long time.
I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun of it,
and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am using a
standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every combination
of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate GPS units, but so
far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I feed it. Any ideas?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:05:34 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long time.
I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun of it,
and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am using a
standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every combination
of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate GPS units, but so
far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I feed it. Any ideas?

This doesn't answer your question but I'd suggest giving it a try with
a relatively new (and free) nav package called OpenCPN. I've been
testing it as an eventual replacement for my Maptech OSN and have been
favorably impressed so far. It's an easy install and loads quickly.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpn/

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long
time.
I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun of it,
and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am using a
standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every combination
of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate GPS units, but
so
far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I feed it. Any ideas?

Surely you must be missing out on the pleasure of sailing your boat while
you are down below playing with all that hi-tech stuff?

Edgar wrote:

Surely you must be missing out on the pleasure of sailing your boat
while you are down below playing with all that hi-tech stuff?

I guess I never realized that sailing is pleasurable only when one is on
deck. I will have examine the possibility of moving the stove, dining
table, wine locker, and liquor cabinet to the lazarette.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

Steve Lusardi wrote:
If one application sees your GPSs, the problem with Offshore
Navigation Light and SeaClearII is clearly not hardware. That stated,
the question is now the new applications. How did you get them? Are
they legal? Do you need an activation code? Do you need a dongle? How
about calling application tech support if you have legal copies.

SeaClear is freeware with an open license. ON Lite is essentially freeware
that Maptech supplied (or still supplies?) with certain chart packages that
are encrypted. It was necessary, for example, to load ON Lite to set up my
Bermuda electronic charts. In both cases these apps are "legal" if I
understand the nature of your comment. Good point, but I am not sure this
is the issue.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:05:34 -0400, Armond Perretta wrote:

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long
time. I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun
of it, and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am
using a standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every
combination of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate
GPS units, but so far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I
feed it. Any ideas?

The USB-to-serial cable *might* have something to do with it. The USB
standard does not include a GPS device, so a proprietary driver is
needed. Capn probably provides them, perhaps, ONL and SeaClear don't.
If you are familiar with telnet, you could telnet the port and see what,
if anything, is being transmitted.

thunder wrote in
t:

[...]

Excellent point. The Cap'n DOES have a USB serial port emulator/driver
that I'm sure is STILL resident on his computer even if The Cap'n isn't
booted. So, The Cap'n's driver is stealing the data away from the port,
no matter what program's running, making a data black hole that these
other programs have no way of accessing from the proprietary driver....

The only way he'd get to see it is if he completely UNinstalled The
Cap'n before installing one of these other crapware freebies, then he'd
probably have GPS info off the open USB port that's not open now with
the Cap'n's driver holding it close.

If The Cap'n works great DON'T SCREW IT UP! Use it to go sailing!

Trying to run several nav programs on that machine is SURE to screw it
up with all the system tinkering they have to go through to get
antiquated NMEA serial data through a computer that doesn't have ports
for it any more.....

--
Larry

Larry wrote:
thunder wrote ...
Armond Perretta wrote:

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched
to provide nav data ... I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and
SeaClear II ... and it happens that neither program can "see"
the GPS ... I am using a standard USB-to-serial cable ... Capn 8.3 can
see anything I feed it ...

[...]

I think you both are onto the explanation. I suspected that something was
hijacking the port so I restarted the machine and did not run Capn, but
instead tried ON Lite and SeaClear separately. Unfortunately that didn't do
the trick as the port still appears to be closed to the other software.
What would happen if I used an additional USB-to-serial converter in another
USB socket? Maybe I'll try the next time I'm at the yard.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

Armond,
If one application sees your GPSs, the problem with Offshore Navigation Light and SeaClearII is clearly not hardware. That stated,
the question is now the new applications. How did you get them? Are they legal? Do you need an activation code? Do you need a
dongle? How about calling application tech support if you have legal copies.
Steve