Default Anchorage in Hawk Channel

What are the anchorage in Hawk Channel? We have a draft of 5 1/2 ft.

Hanz

Wayne.B wrote:

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:42:10 -0400, wrote:

What are the anchorage in Hawk Channel? We have a draft of 5 1/2 ft.

IMHO there aren't any really good places that have good holding and
are protected. We've ended up trying to get a couple of days of
decent weather and running down the Keys and just anchoring
where-ever.

Some of the places where we have anchored a

1. North of Rodriguez Key near Key Largo.

Holding not good - rocky

2. North east of Tavernier Key in the deeper water east of the R4
buoy.

3. West of Indian Key

Indian Key has or did have moorings, but they aren't or haven't been
reliable.

4. West of Boot Key, south of the Boot Key Harbor entrance channel.

5. In Boot Key Harbor just east of the draw bridge.

Somewhat limited space as most of the harbor has moorings. Although
since I understand that the drawbridge is open all the time, there may
be more space. There's a current through Boot Key Harbor, and there
is (or was) an overhead power line across the cut.

6. New Found Harbor east of Little Torch Key.

I understand they've restricted anchoring here.

7. East of Summerland Key, just north of the bridge.

There are also many public mooring buoys near the dive sites along the
reef on the south side of Hawk Channel.

http://www.divespots.com/scuba/site-...keys/area.info

http://fla-keys.com/diving/

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:42:10 -0400, wrote:

What are the anchorage in Hawk Channel? We have a draft of 5 1/2 ft.

Some of the places where we have anchored a

1. North of Rodriguez Key near Key Largo.

Decent in settled weather and weather from the NW to the NE. Marginal in
prevailing winds and summer thunderstorms.

2. North east of Tavernier Key in the deeper water east of the R4
buoy.

Not so good. Better to try to tuck in West of the long sandbar that extends
east from the key.

3. West of Indian Key

Sucks big time. Always a swell that has your rolling on your beam ends.

4. West of Boot Key, south of the Boot Key Harbor entrance channel.

Too much boat traffic and inconsiderate wakes. Open to the east and
dangerous during thunderstorms.

5. In Boot Key Harbor just east of the draw bridge.

Decent.

6. New Found Harbor east of Little Torch Key.

Go farther in and it's not bad just don't get near the highway one bridge
and powerlines or they will run your ass out of there. Restricted because a
sailboat with tall masts got into the powerlines and caused a massive power
failure a couple years ago.

7. East of Summerland Key, just north of the bridge.

Too much current.

There are also many public mooring buoys near the dive sites along the
reef on the south side of Hawk Channel.

Terrible during the day because of all the boat traffic and untenable in any
winds greater than about 15 knots because of large swell from the Atlantic.
You'll get knocked on your arse.

Wilbur Hubbard

mmc mmc is offline

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:

Hello Rosalie! Where you been?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:43:54 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Both Rosalie and Wilbur make valid points regarding the suitability of
the anchorages that I listed but we have used them all at one time or
another in the last few years with no problems. You just have to
factor in weather and sea conditions as appropriate. There are other
anchorage possibilities north of the Keys if you are near a suitable
bridge and winds are out of the south.

"mmc" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
Wayne.B wrote:

Hello Rosalie! Where you been?

You mean recently?

My last two cruises were on the big boats. Bob and I took a cruise
through the Panama Canal and back last winter. This URL starts with
our visit to Grand Turk, and links all the way through to Peru and
back

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/a66ee/#TL

This is the start of the visit

We were supposed to get to Grand Turk at noon, but we were coming in during Trivia, so right afterwards I went out and took pictures. I did get some photos of the lighthouse. I was so anxious to get ashore to find out how I could get to the lighthouse itself that I took two rolls and two slices of bread from the buffet.

The Port person said to go to the information desk and ask about a taxi. There was no information desk. We bought hats for ourselves - I lost my good hat in Curacao and left the one with a chin strap to keep it from blowing off that I bought there on our boat. Bob bought a straw one and I bought a fabric one. We saw the little booth (smaller than a reasonable sized science fair project) but there was no one there. We walked out to the taxi stand and they said to go back to the booth and look for someone in a green shirt.

The man (in a cream shirt) eventually came to the booth and he explained that his tour was an hour and included the lighthouse and would be $19 each. A taxi out to the lighthouse and back would be $18 each ($9 each way) So we opted for the tour which would leave in 20 minutes. The tour would have cost $39 each from the ship. I wanted to get Bob something to eat, so we walked over to Margaretaville. I ordered conch soup which I thought would be fast, but Bob ordered a fish sandwich. And it didn't come quickly enough for us so we took it with us.

We walked back to the stand and they gave us wrist bands. I drank my soup (I had to put some ice cubes in it to get it cool enough to drink and I spilled some of it on my dress) and we walked to the bus. I got on and sat by the window in what must have been the smallest seat on the bus. The distance between the back of the seat and the back of the next seat was exactly the distance from my hips to my knees.

Anyway the tour included a narrative by the driver (also the person who sold us the tickets), and he explained about the original salt ponds and how things were after Hurricane Ike (category 4). Apparently the British Navy came in for the recovery and ordered 300 body bags - they didn't have to use any of them. You can see that there is extensive damage to the island, but the roads are cleared now, people are getting their homes back together, and the shops at the dock are about half back in business

We went out to the lighthouse, and Bob took one of the cameras and walked out to the end of the property and took pictures, while I took pictures from between the lighthouse and the bus. Originally there was an admission charge, but there was no one to take the money. Originally there was a refreshment stand, but now there's just a lady with a cooler.

And in June I took my granddaughter on a Baltic cruise. I haven't
finished doing all the ports on this trip yet, but this is the first
port in Estonia and most of the other narratives are linked although
not all have photos.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/ab5b6/#TL

And I got a cold which turned into bronchitis and I was sick for
about a month. Finally gave in and went to the doctor.

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
1. North of Rodriguez Key near Key Largo.

Holding not good - rocky

Really? The only time I've been there it was just fine with what appeared
to be sand...

L8R

Skip, still refitting - stay tuned for the log post in a week or two :{))

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:26:38 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
1. North of Rodriguez Key near Key Largo.

Holding not good - rocky

Really? The only time I've been there it was just fine with what appeared
to be sand...

Yes, I agree but it may depend on where exactly you drop the hook.
We've been there at least 3 times and never had a problem. In a
strong easterly I'd go somewhere else but it's very convenient
otherwise.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
1. North of Rodriguez Key near Key Largo.

Holding not good - rocky

Really? The only time I've been there it was just fine with what appeared
to be sand...

Was that before or after you dragged up on that reef and had to be rescued?

Wilbur Hubbard