Default Anchorage in Hawk Channel

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:42:10 -0400, wrote:

What are the anchorage in Hawk Channel? We have a draft of 5 1/2 ft.

Some of the places where we have anchored a

1. North of Rodriguez Key near Key Largo.

Decent in settled weather and weather from the NW to the NE. Marginal in
prevailing winds and summer thunderstorms.

2. North east of Tavernier Key in the deeper water east of the R4
buoy.

Not so good. Better to try to tuck in West of the long sandbar that extends
east from the key.

3. West of Indian Key

Sucks big time. Always a swell that has your rolling on your beam ends.

4. West of Boot Key, south of the Boot Key Harbor entrance channel.

Too much boat traffic and inconsiderate wakes. Open to the east and
dangerous during thunderstorms.

5. In Boot Key Harbor just east of the draw bridge.

Decent.

6. New Found Harbor east of Little Torch Key.

Go farther in and it's not bad just don't get near the highway one bridge
and powerlines or they will run your ass out of there. Restricted because a
sailboat with tall masts got into the powerlines and caused a massive power
failure a couple years ago.

7. East of Summerland Key, just north of the bridge.

Too much current.

There are also many public mooring buoys near the dive sites along the
reef on the south side of Hawk Channel.

Terrible during the day because of all the boat traffic and untenable in any
winds greater than about 15 knots because of large swell from the Atlantic.
You'll get knocked on your arse.

Wilbur Hubbard