Default USS Kitty Hawk on her way to breakers at Bremerton 09-02-08 "USS Kitty Hawk 2_resize.jpg" yEnc (1/1)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg USS Kitty Hawk 2_resize.jpg (301.3 KB, 35 views)

Those two didn't qwork.

Just binary characters...

In article ,
cavelamb himself wrote:

Those two didn't qwork.

Just binary characters...

I got them both OK.

I spent many months looking at USS Kitty Hawk and other carriers from
one or another accompanying destroyer, day and night, in all kinds of
weather, usually at darken ship. Hard to see even an aircraft carrier at
night at darken ship. On the other hand, during flight ops, they would
have the deck lights on.

It can be very hard to tell the aspect of an aircraft carrier at night.
You have to really be on your toes. In my experience, they would change
course and speed without signal to the accompanying ships in response to
the needs of flight ops. You had to be on your toes as OOD of a
destroyer to keep track of what the carrier was doing. The most
important thing was to keep from getting run over. After attending to
that need, you could look after the rest of the mission of providing
rescue services for downed aviators, providing anti-submarine and
anti-aircraft protection, and any other tasks needed.

Had to refuel the destroyer every 2 or 3 days. We would often refuel
from the carrier. Go alongside the starboard side, a hundred feet or so
away, matching his course and speed to keep station with hose rigs over
fore and aft. Speed might be around 15 knots. It might take 30 minutes
to an hour, depending on the situation. The starboard side view of the
Kitty Hawk in these pictures reminded me vividly of that, though in
refueling we were a whole lot closer than in those pictures. 100 feet is
about 1/4 the length of the destroyer and about 1/10 the length of the
carrier. The fueling stations on the carrier were on the two elevators
on the starboard side, fore and aft of the island. The overhang of the
flight deck would at times seem to be above the destroyer. Sometimes the
carrier would be launching and recovering aircraft while refueling a
destroyer. Had to frequently make small adjustments to heading and speed
on the destroyer to keep station, adding or dropping a turn or two to
adjust speed, changing heading by a degree one way or the other. Of
course the sea was seldom flat, and wave action affected the ships. No
one could let their attention wander for a moment.

--
Bill Collins
For email, change "fake" to "earthlink"

Bill wrote:

In article ,
cavelamb himself wrote:

Those two didn't qwork.

Just binary characters...

I got them both OK.

It must be the Yenc encoding.
How can I do that ?

[...]

That sounds pretty "up close and personal"...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

cavelamb himself added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Those two didn't qwork.

Just binary characters...

They were posted in yEnc. Does your news reader support that?

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

If you are using Micro$h*t, you can download "yproxy" by Brawny Lads
Productions, www.brawnylads.com. Just follow the directions to link it to
your newsserver and you'll be able to view Yenc photos. Just start yproxy
prior to starting your newsreader.

Randy

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

In article ,
cavelamb himself wrote:

Those two didn't qwork.

Just binary characters...

I got them both OK.

It must be the Yenc encoding.
How can I do that ?

HEMI-Powered wrote:
cavelamb himself added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Those two didn't qwork.

Just binary characters...

They were posted in yEnc. Does your news reader support that?

I guess not...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)