Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Anchorage in Hawk Channel

Wayne.B wrote:

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:42:10 -0400, wrote:

What are the anchorage in Hawk Channel? We have a draft of 5 1/2 ft.

IMHO there aren't any really good places that have good holding and
are protected. We've ended up trying to get a couple of days of
decent weather and running down the Keys and just anchoring
where-ever.

Some of the places where we have anchored a

1. North of Rodriguez Key near Key Largo.

Holding not good - rocky

2. North east of Tavernier Key in the deeper water east of the R4
buoy.

3. West of Indian Key

Indian Key has or did have moorings, but they aren't or haven't been
reliable.

4. West of Boot Key, south of the Boot Key Harbor entrance channel.

5. In Boot Key Harbor just east of the draw bridge.

Somewhat limited space as most of the harbor has moorings. Although
since I understand that the drawbridge is open all the time, there may
be more space. There's a current through Boot Key Harbor, and there
is (or was) an overhead power line across the cut.

6. New Found Harbor east of Little Torch Key.

I understand they've restricted anchoring here.

7. East of Summerland Key, just north of the bridge.

There are also many public mooring buoys near the dive sites along the
reef on the south side of Hawk Channel.

http://www.divespots.com/scuba/site-...keys/area.info

http://fla-keys.com/diving/