Default Heart of Gold...Best Season ever!

We're just having such a wonderful season of sailing. I don't think
we've had a single windless day and our short cruises have been
fantastic. Block Island is on the menu is a few weeks and a few other
shorter runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drDm3WZcK4I

Hope everyone is having fun on the water!

RB
35s5
NY

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:28:54 -0700 (PDT), "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

We're just having such a wonderful season of sailing. I don't think
we've had a single windless day and our short cruises have been
fantastic. Block Island is on the menu is a few weeks and a few other
shorter runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drDm3WZcK4I

Hope everyone is having fun on the water!

Nice video of Western Long Island Sound but I'm concerned that you
will get a short life out of that high tech mainsail if you keep
luffing it like that.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
We're just having such a wonderful season of sailing. I don't think
we've had a single windless day and our short cruises have been
fantastic. Block Island is on the menu is a few weeks and a few other
shorter runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drDm3WZcK4I

Hope everyone is having fun on the water!

RB
35s5
NY

You'd go faster if you didn't luff the mainsail and if you got rid of the
wind-up genny and used a hanked-on, 100% jib for a more balanced pull
considering the wind speed.

Ten years of sailing and you've yet to learn basic sail trim. Pathetic,
dude, pathetic!

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:
We're just having such a wonderful season of sailing. I don't think
we've had a single windless day and our short cruises have been
fantastic. Block Island is on the menu is a few weeks and a few other
shorter runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drDm3WZcK4I

Hope everyone is having fun on the water!

Nice video of Western Long Island Sound but I'm concerned that you
will get a short life out of that high tech mainsail if you keep
luffing it like that.

We've used that kevlar main for 3 seasons and this year it will be
probably retired for a conventional main from Doyle. It's been a great
sail, but I think I'll save it for when we sell the boat. Sails get
used and get beat up and get replaced. It's a small price to pay for
all the fun. Not long after the video clip we furled up the genoa and
sailed great under just the main on a close reach. I love fractional
rigs like ours!

RB
35s5
NY

You'd go faster if you didn't luff the mainsail and if you got rid of the
wind-up genny and used a hanked-on, 100% jib for a more balanced pull
considering the wind speed.

Ten years of sailing and you've yet to learn basic sail trim. Pathetic,
dude, pathetic!

Wilbur Hubbard

You can always tells an armchair sailor from the real thing by their
silly comments...and Wilbur is certainly sitting in a mighty big
chair!
Wilbur....does not know why we're periodically (GENTLY!) luffing
because he does not know the conditions, destination/course or
anything! He doesn't even know the size of the genoa or that Suzanne
is playing the helm. He suggests that we get rid of a furling system
even though we sail with children 95% of the time.
And the dumb comment about the main? We've beat on it for 3 years and
it was bought USED! So when will it go???? Hmmmmm?

Poor Wilbur further fouls his Depends by ignoring the followup comment
that we rolled the genoa and sailed with main alone and is incapable
of deducing what that means!

Oh yeah! Experts everywhere! We're sailing at 3:00 today...and you can
bet a million that poor Wilbur will be posting away while we sail!!!!

Doh!

RB
35s5
NY

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
snipped some

Poor Wilbur further fouls his Depends by ignoring the followup comment
that we rolled the genoa and sailed with main alone and is incapable
of deducing what that means!

And just what do you STILL fail to understand about the virtue of a
*balanced* sailplan?

Anytime a real sailor sees a yacht proceeding under main alone or under jib
alone it tells a tale of ineptitude.

Wilbur Hubbard

And just what do you STILL fail to understand about the virtue of a
*balanced* sailplan?

Anytime a real sailor sees a yacht proceeding under main alone or under jib
alone it tells a tale of ineptitude.

Wilbur Hubbard

Balanced sailplan??? In increasingly gusty conditions that had us
putting the genny to bed minutes later? Where are we headed and why?
What is the VMG? Better still, what is wrong with our VMG? When your
sailplan IS unbalanced when exactly should you take action and why?

Because you really can't answer ANY of these questions relavent to the
video clip, why embarrass yourself again and again? In 40 minutes crew
will be here and you'll still be scratching yourself and planning your
evening of TV.

RB
35s5
NY

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

[...]

An unbalanced sailplan requires the rudder (and helmsman) to work harder
trying to counteract the unbalanced forces on the keel. It reduces
efficiency. It makes it harder to maneuver efficiently and safely.
Increasingly gusty conditions require smaller *sails*. Reef the mainsail AND
change to a smaller headsail if the winds pipe up so much that your existing
sail area is too large. This will maintain a balanced sailplan for the
conditions at hand and will keep the rudder working at maximum efficiency
with reduced effort.

Any FOOL who strikes the headsail because it decides to blow about 20 knots
and operates under mainsail alone is no sailor. If your stupid, wind-up
genny is overpowered then wind the damned thin up about halfway and this
will reduce your sail area. Isn't that supposed to be one of the benefits of
the abominations? Along with this you should take a reef in on the mainsail.
The fact of the matter is a sloop sailing under main alone in brisk winds
will have excessive weather helm and reduced helm control. If you haven't
learned these simple facts in the ten years or so you've been trying to
learn to sail then you're just plain stupid and hopeless.

Sometime when you have some spare time at home on the computer try looking
up a couple of sailing yacht terms.

1) center of effort
2) center of lateral resistance

Then try as best you can with that defective brain of yours to apply the
concepts to an unbalanced sailplan. Dope!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Jul 19, 2:25*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

[...]

Hilarious...Here I sit aboard my boat and the guy watching re-runs of
the Facts of Life is trying to sound important.

You have NO CLUE about sailing a fractional rig like ours...that much
is obvious. One of the benefits of such a rig is that you can roll the
genny and sail along quite nicely under the big main...which is
exactly what we did at a very comfortable 5 knots. Which children
aboard this is a huge advantage over most mastheads. A 35s5 does just
sail well under main alone, it sails GREAT. While other boats fell off
and struggled we passed Hart Island within an hour.

Like I said....you are CLUELESS.

A real sailor (which you will never be) chooses the right set for
conditions and crew. You have demonstrated, by ignoring both, that you
are not a real sailor. Oh...and the "optimal" set would have been a
reefed main and the blade, but you're too ignorant to do anything more
than suggest roller-reefing the genny, which is far from optimal when
pointing.

CLUELESS is what you are. Before even suggesting anything anyone with
half a brain would have asked what the conditions were overall, who
was aboard and what the sail inventory was. But fool that you are you
made a load of ASS-sumptions and now you're knee deep in your own
idiocy.

But the best part? Winds are light now at about 7-8 knots, but
building and I'm going sailing after I shut this notebook!

Have fun, LUBBER LOSER! Real sailors actually go SAILING! Enjoy the
movie!

Bwahahahahhahahhahahhahhaha!

RB
35s5
NY

Heart Of Gold Sails! Capt. Rob Cruising 0 June 7th 09 04:53 PM
Heart of Gold Jolly Roger Cruising 0 May 14th 09 03:41 PM
Heart of Gold and the Girls of Gold! Capt. Rob ASA 2 June 15th 07 11:19 PM
Heart of Gold Has some Fun! Capt. Rob ASA 2 August 27th 06 03:57 PM
Heart of Gold Joe ASA 2 March 8th 06 01:23 AM